FRP Cams

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue3

Has anyone ever fitted piper 285 cams to an FRP and if so is it driveable. the stated rev range is 3500-8000

Simon

i had them in my old saxo vtr and they are ok mate, and piper 270r in my zetec s. would think that would be ok, but unsure.

heavy duty valve springs, modified ecu...

why does the old girl only rev to 7000 rpm, and is only recomended to run 7250 for short periods...is it becasue of the variable valve timing system..

I am planning on getting the head of mine and giving it a good bit of port work, simply opening up the ports, matching with the inlet manifold and the exhaust manifold etc...hope this will add 10 or 20 bhp...

iv been looking at putting new set of cams in my frp as well..... i was also thinking of having head work done including over sized valve. iv been doing some research on it and fount u can only really get more power from it by uping the rev limiter to 8600....... this mean uprating the bottom end..... i stilll wont to keep my rev limiter to 7000 but will i get any advantages from over sized valve if i dont up the rev limiter?????

yes you will the more air you can get in the better, normal air pressure is 15psi, so assuming you get a std suction from the engine if you make the holes bigger you will get in more air...this will then allow you to get more fuel in and therefore get a bigger bang...its only small amounts but good porting to a normal engine can add as much as 30 to 40 bhp and more...but to the FRP head i would think that this is unlikely as they must have been ported already.

As to the engine taking more power I would think you can take these engines easily to 20 or even 250 brake before you really start to worry...however its all about driving style, if you rag it day in day out at 7000 rpm the engine wont last long...it will need a rebuild on a regular basis...(buy as many standard engines as you can and just keep swapping the bottom end) a full steel liner and bottom end upgrade would cost a fortune I would think...a duratec 1800 engine will fit and it will easily take 250 bhp and with turbo anything up to 400 plus...so it may be an option...

I am certainly considering this but am also looking into a full blown rally puma that will have sequential gearbox and an 1800 engine with 250-260 bhp...or maybe even a full 4x4 conversion, trouble is we are then into 40 or 50 grand for these cars...

Latest posts

Back