frp gearbox

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From memory it has shot peened first and second gears and a different 5th gear which Im guessing suits acceleration but which gives you higher revs at motorway cruising speeds than a standrd box. I suppose other gear ratios may very well be different as well

People fit FRP gearboxes in standard cars so I guess it works the other way round to. Possibly there may be issues with the speed sensor though.

Someone was selling new ones on ebay for £250 a while ago

yep, shot peened 1st and second and different 5th, but basically it is and IB5 box which is the same basics as puma and fiesta box, standard box would fit but you may break it if you accellerate hard.

The £250 new ones all went some time ago, the odd one crops up occassionally now when people have a clear out

One with a broken case on fleebay that the guy has been trying to shift for some time

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-PUMA-RACING-No-410-HIGH-RATIO-GEARBOX-I-A-/400302649302?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5d33e5afd6#ht_2226wt_1110" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You could transplant the internals into his casing and you may be able to knock him down

right, just spoke to him and he isnot keen on fitting incorrect parts but at the same time he has hadf enough. he is going to sell the car as is. details

10 months mot
good s/h
average cosmetic condition
spent a fair bit over the last year .
new abs sensors all round
new clutch
axle spacers
wheel bearings
sports cat

all ford parts ( except cat )

bad bits:

gearbox! its not selecting gears at all so guessing this needs replacing/rebuilding
missing front splitter
bit of wear to seat bolster

what do you guys think would be a reasonable reserve to put on it?

Is he sure it is not that the gear linkage has slipped/is loose? What happens when he tries to select a gear?

If he is selling, cheap ones but roadworthy are going for £3500-4000, so reserve £2500 ish

saw a nice one go for £3700 I think it was with 60+k miles a couple of months ago iirc

final drive ratio is different, which means all gears are different

shot peened 1st and second

standard box would fit and work, but will haev a different ratio speedo gear inside, will be green meaning the speedo will be out, will need changing for a red type

will also be noticably worse in acceleration due to longer FD

FRP
Final drive 4.25
1st 3.15
2nd 1.93
3rd 1.41
4th 1.11
5th 0.88

1.7 Std
Final drive 3.82
1st 3.15
2nd 1.93