FRP vs 'Normal' 1.7

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DradusContact said:
280mm front brakes.
Easy and cheap upgrade from the 260mm
Drilled discs and mintex pads.
Pads, yes. Drilled discs, no. You don't need them if you're upgrading the size. Besides, drilled discs are weaker at the points where they've been drilled.
Rear disc conversion. £500 from either pumabuild or pumaspeed.
Not worth it.
Lowered suspensions & bushes. £300 ish from either.
Bushes (powerflex) are a must-have. Lowering improves the handling, but obviously makes the ride harder
Spend the final £600 on exhuast/ 4-2-1/ ecu/inlet manifold, something like that
You'd spend more than that if you got the full system, Milltek ones are nice.
get a nice spoiler
Ignore Rob, he just hates spoilers. :p there are a few nicer subtle ones around, the MS designs one works quite well

the rear conversion might not be worth it, but i still want it! Looks the business i think.

I'd take the £2000 no question

Milltek full system - about £1000 all in

Weitec GT coilovers - £600 fitted

Powerflex bushes all round - prolly around £250

Rest of the cash would go on a Mondeo V6 setup with Ford discs and Mintex 1144 pads.

In fact, I've just described my car. Woo me!

but you dont have the looks of the frp which is a big factor in buying the car. Your talking another grand to get the looks, then interior on top.

Been there done that...and now I have a modded Puma 1.7 with the bits changed that suit my style of driving. All except the engine that is. Cost as much as an FRP to do the work, bills to prove.

I agree with everything in Cherie's post.

The FRP does look good but that doesn't make the standard 1.7 ugly, in fact many people mistake the FRP for a standard bodied Puma and vice versa.

I'm no longer a fan of exhausts you can hear half a mile away (as was fitted to my FRP), as for rear spoilers :?

I'd have an FRP for track use maybe but for the 'real' road the standard Puma is actually easier to drive fast and better behaved IMO.

I have to agree with BOK on this one, my standard 1.7 was a complete joy to drive, relaxed effortless progress with just enough damping and travel to be confidence inspiring.
My FRP is a different proposition entirely, it fidgets and darts about, the drive is nervy. You know you are covering ground as quickly but you have to focus %100 if driving in a spirited fashion, the grip is definately there but the actions of the car fool the mind into thinking otherwise :grin:

I would spend 2k on mods for a standard 1.7 :cool:

I suppose you could class me as a purist with the FRP, apart from tyres and a stainless system she will remain standard. However it wont be mothballed in a garage it will be used :-D

It was also intended to be used "Rallyesque" style. I think the best FRP photo I ever saw was Lisa's FRP after being used as a rally course closing car : covered in mud.

I would never have an FRP. I've always felt like that. They look nice, but that's it for me. Would sooner have either the 1.7 standard, or buy something with power like the ST3 or a Léon Cupra (K1 for the looks)

i thought wit all the car enthusiasts on here more people would go for something abit special and rare! :derr:

As said many times before an frp is not all about the speed, its the fun you can have in the car.

claire said:
I would never have an FRP. I've always felt like that. They look nice, but that's it for me. Would sooner have either the 1.7 standard, or buy something with power like the ST3 or a Léon Cupra (K1 for the looks)

Been there with the power thing, absolutely pointless these days, to many cars on the road and to many cameras :grin:
ST3 is veeery thirsty :shock:

Integra DC5 is what you want, looks + power :-D

melinamotor said:
Integra DC5 is what you want, looks + power :-D

Now your talking.... :wub:

Shame it's import only :(

Id still take the money over the FRP, but id like a go in one to be able to fairly compare the two. For research purposhes only of course :)

mikeFRP said:
i thought wit all the car enthusiasts on here more people would go for something abit special and rare! :derr:

As said many times before an frp is not all about the speed, its the fun you can have in the car.

And as many of us with tweaked 1.7s point out, we feel that we get close enough to the full fat FRP experience whilst opting out of the hideous costs that spring up the second you ding a panel/need a new bit of exhaust/need to have the brakes looked at etc etc etc

Peter said:
mikeFRP said:

And as many of us with tweaked 1.7s point out, we feel that we get close enough to the full fat FRP experience whilst opting out of the hideous costs that spring up the second you ding a panel/need a new bit of exhaust/need to have the brakes looked at etc etc etc

I understand what you mean about the panels, they are a stupid price. However a true enthusiast will know/get the brakes serviced every 1 to 2 years at a small cost and they will be amazing for years to come. Just make sure nothing is too close behind you when you slam on, or you will be needing a 900 quid rear bumber, :(

About the exhaust, if you have the stainless steel item, (which most now do) it wont need replaceing. :)

Latest posts

Back