Gearbox leak, how to fix

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serth

124g9yv.jpg

Evening all, please see picture above. Basically, where the blue arrow points to is where I have noticed oil being before now. I checked the plug at the top of the gearbox and made sure it is the correct way round. The blue circle shows where the drips all accumulate, and the blue dots signify bolts/nuts that I found to be loose (I could tighten them with a socket set and ratchet wrench).

I brimmed this with oil in min June 2014 and judging by the sounds coming from it, it's pretty empty now.

Is this location a common area for gearbox oil leaks, and if so, is it a gasket that I can replace or is it irrepairable?

thanks in advance

I'd check your brake fluid level too.. I've noticed that the area you've highlighted is a common place for brake fluid to sit if it's leaking from the slave cylinder above the gearbox.

what jimfrp88 hasn't mentioned in his response above (and you may know already) anyway, the clutch and brake systems share a common reservoir so if the clutch slave is leaking, the brake fluid level will go down. Other possibilities are a leak from the gearbox input shaft or crank shaft seal. I'd say the most likely culprit is gearbox input shaft, if it's using gearbox oil and you can't see evidence of it leaking out elsewhere. A further thought, you mentioned that you 'brimmed it' in June, Again you may be well aware of this but the 'book' says fill to 10mm below the filler plug. Is it possible you over filled it and the leak is the excess finding it's way out?

Latest posts

Back