Headlight Bulb Upgrade

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimfrp88

Just wondering if anyone has a pair of these fitted or know anyone that rates them?

Cheers

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ring-Xenon-Ultima-HB3-9005-Headlight-Bulbs-Pair-better-vision-120-RW1205-/331085195384?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4d16372878" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are exactly the same as Halfords Ultra Brilliance bulbs . both are boxed by Ring into Halfords packaging and are made by Alite.

They are very good, with greatly improved visibilty especially long distance of 75m. However from reviews on the Halfords site, they don't last very long typically 3 months, in any event the manufacturers stated 250 hrs life of bulb. I have just fitted these and can confirm there is a big improvement compared to Xenon Max.

Cheers mate..

I know they're not road legal, but has anyone used a pair of the 100 watt bulbs advertised on eBay?

I've had mine in for 8 months and they haven't gone yet... There might be better bulbs but in my opinion these are excellent in the puma and value wise can't be beaten. My old Xenon Max went after less than a year and not much usage, sent the offending bulb into Ring and they sent me a replacement set free of charge pretty impressed with that tbh.

What I would say though is as soon as one goes it is best to replace both as once all the wattage is going through one headlight it tends to blow shortly after (not just with Ring but any uprated bulb Osram and the like clearly state that the better the bulb lesser the lifespan). Ring bulbs are so cheap that I have a spare set ready to go when mine go.

I am using Osram night breakers. For the very sam reason of extending their life I had a voltage stabilisator installed in my car. A friend of mine who is elecr(on)ic guru advised so and even made them out of few basic electronic components.

Heatshrinked for protection

And preparing the car for installing

And all done!

I can confirm that this works. Usually, Osram Nightbreakers would last up to six months, and I had to change them after 17 months (improvement to the factor of three!) and mind you, half of the year we are obliged by the law to drive with lights on 24/7!
The thing that kills bulbs are the voltage spikes that occur in car's network when you switch something heavy on and off (say window demist, or something similar that uses a lot of electricity). If the bulb is producing more light, it draws more current and any disturbance in quality of that current (i.e. voltage) is killing it

Nice one! :thumbs:

Slightly off topic, but what are the sensors located in your front bumper?

jimfrp88 said:
Nice one! :thumbs:

Slightly off topic, but what are the sensors located in your front bumper?

They look like parking sensors, but really, really well fitted ones. What's the story?!!

Yup, parking sensors. Bought car with them on. Have them at rear as well

It may have been factory option. Although I doubt it. One of the rear doorcards had a snapped and deformed clip and was not seating properly; behind is it the small speaker (the beeper) so I'd say the previous (lady) owner had them installed

For the newbie Puma owners out there, such as myself, please can I confirm the best upgrade Halfords bulbs to get for my 2001 Thunder before I buy the wrong ones? :-(

Using the The Halfords website reg plate search Halford's says I need:
Halfords (HBU711EB) H11 Extreme Brilliance Car Bulb
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs-wiper-blades-batteries/bulbs/halfords-hbu711eb-h11-extreme-brilliance-car-bulb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However I'm sure I've read on this website somewhere that I should be getting a completely different fitting as Halford's website is wrong?:
Halfords Ultra Brilliance (HBU9005ULB) Car Bulb
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs-wiper-blades-batteries/bulbs/halfords-ultra-brilliance-hbu9005ulb-car-bulb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please can someone confirm? Also, am I correct that I need four bulbs?

Thanks - Jimbo

HB3 / 9005 - same thing and the correct ones for the car.

fullsize_4479.jpg

Dipped and main beam use the same bulb.
(Useful if you get a dipped bulb go out in the middle of nowhere - just use a main beam in place of a dipped beam one for the short term.)

Jimbo_Jet said:
Also, am I correct that I need four bulbs?

Thanks - Jimbo
The 2 dipped bulbs are essential. If you're short of cash or don't do much out of town driving then you can skip the main beam bulbs.

Dal said:
HB3 / 9005 - same thing and the correct ones for the car.

Thanks Dal, I think it's been the 'HB3' that's been confusing me but I should be looking for the 9005 code on the Halfords bulbs?

Latest posts

Back