Headlights without cover

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAC

Just a random question...

I have seen the rear lights without the plastic covers, but can the headlights be used without the covers?

tuonokid said:
Hi JAC
Not really as all the electronics inside will be open to the elements.
Barry
I'm also reckoning that if halogen bulbs don't even like the grease content of a human fingerprint on them, then they are going to be far from amused at having shedloads of greasy diesel/petrol fumes all over them.

Thanks Barry and Frank.

I guessed it wasn't a good idea as I haven't seen it, but thought I woul ask (I actually thought there were small lenses in front of the bulbs, but I haven't actually taken it apart).

JAC said:
I guessed it wasn't a good idea..
No, good idea. It might fail because that plastic 'glass' cover gives structural strength to the unit...or because those lenses get very hot and can't be sealed in well enough....or it might fail simply because the headlights look rubbish without the covers.

Never know till you try, but maybe try it on an old scrap headlight unit first. :)

Frank said:
Never know till you try, but maybe try it on an old scrap headlight unit first. :)

Unfortunately, there are no such things as old scrap puma parts here (well, old scrap yes, but not cheap!) the cheapest headlights I have found were 150€ each!

Latest posts

Back