Hello from new member

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biscuit

Just thought I would introduce myself and say hello.
I have owned my 2001 MY 1.7 Puma in the grey blue colour ( sorry the correct colour name escapes me ) for about 6 months now and absolutely love it.
I use it mainly for commuting from Southampton to Hereford. I am getting 330 miles out of a tank of petrol which I find very impressive for such a small tank.
I looked at 6 cars before I bought this one.
I think I have found the holy grail of Pumas. There is no rust anywhere on it. Everything is spot on.

I am really good friends with Richard and Malcolm of Tremona Garage in Southampton and I got them to check it over whilst I was having a new clutch fitted by them.
Even they said it was a top example.
It gets a lot of comments from people about how clean and tidy it is but I think that is down to how anal I am about keeping my cars clean.
I have polished it twice with the new super resin polish from Auto Glym and then put 2 coats of Meguiars Professional wax on it which has made it gleaming.

I would put some pics up but I cant work out how you upload them.

Anyway its getting late and I am waffling now.

Regards
Ben

Hi and welcome! The colour sounds like Medium Steel Blue.

We've got a lot of love for Tremona Garage round here, quite possibly Puma Mecca. :thumbs:

I was down there myself recently:

Cloud2go%2030%20Nov%202012%2008:16.jpg

Thanks for the welcome.
Had the Puma MOT'd last month and it flew through. Just had the rubber brake hoses replaced as they had perished.
Even the MOT inspector noted how tidy it was.
I am really chuffed with the car. It just does everything I require in a little run around so well.
The only downside that I can really find is that I wish it had a sixth gear for on the motorway.
Other than that it is faultless.
Oh one more thing is the headlights. I think candles are brighter, but Richard at Tremona did tell me before I bought one that they are rubbish. I spent an hour on each headlamp with some plastic polish and have got them back to brand new so that has helped a bit.
I have also spent a fortune on giving the car a full service including new clutch with new g/box oil, new pads and discs, new brake fluid, coolant change, oil and filter change so the car is like new.

Happy days.

Try changing the bulbs to 4 x HBU9005EB Halfords Extreme Brilliance. Make sure they're HB3 fitment (regardless what they try and tell you in Halfords - their book is wrong).

Probably the least worst of the available bulbs for the Puma. Often on buy one get one free; ridiculously expensive otherwise.

Love getting the Puma serviced by Richard and Malcolm - always comes away driving like a magic carpet again. :thumbs:

Thanks for the info on the bulbs. Is there a noticeable difference with those?
Forgot to mention I also got Tremona to do the rocker cover gasket whilst it was in as it had started to weep at the back of the engine side.

certainly Halfords bulbs are much better than Ford's candles. make sure they on a BOGOF offer, normally are.

Welcome to ProjP :eek:k:

I was after the bulbs from halfords, I got Ultra Brilliance as they were the only ones on BOGOF at the time.. Just as good as the extreme brilliance ones ;)

Examples here: CLICKY

Well, after all the bother of introducing myself it looks like the Puma is moving on to a new owner.
My Dad and Step mum came down to visit us over Christmas and my step mum fell in love with the Puma and wants it.
I am losing out on a lot of money as I am letting her have it for £1500.
I paid £2000 for the car and spent another £1000 having all the little details sorted.
Still it helps her out and at least I know she is getting a sorted car.

Regards
Ben

Latest posts

Back