HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLACK-RAIN

Im working on my 1.7 with air con puma and ive been in the process of changing my alternator belt and i cant get my new belt on. Ive being trying for ther last 6 hours. Is there any special ways of doing it cause i seriously need help here.

ive pulled the tensioner all the way and i still cant get it on. Is there any pully in perticular is the best to try and get it on too?

Move the tensioner as far as possible. Put a large spanner on the end of the 13mm spanner to make it longer. Will give you better and easier leverage.

I found it's easier to put the belt round but leaving the water pump until last. It's easier to push the belt over the smooth/flat pulley last.

Where did you get the belt from? Mine came from Euro car parts and not surprisingly, is a tad too short so is a little harder to put on.

I got it from a local car shop, its a continental one, yeah i checked all the numbers online and its the rite belt for the air con version. If i bar at the end of the spanner is there anyway i can prop it up so i can try and slip the belt on. Its nearly impossible to hold the spanner and try and get the belt on.

It is possible to put a long bar between the car/engine and the front wheel so the spanner will rest against it. Don't ask where, as I can't remember. It's a fiddle getting it in the right place so it doesn't ping out and hit you in the face, but it's possible.

im really struggling here, i need the car for work tomorrow morning. Everything lines up but it just seems half an inch too short even when i have the pully fully out.

If you got the old one off ok, then the new one is either too short or you aren't putting it round the pulleys the right way... I personally can't see any other explanation.

Failing that, put the old one back on to get you to work....

Use 2 spanners to hold the tensioner. one won't give you enough force.
water pump wheel was easiest to put belt on last when i did it.

Not much help but I feel your pain :-(
I had to replace my thermostat housing including the belt while at work during my lunch break. Not easy but not impossible, as long as the belt is correct. To be sure put the new and the old belt together and check the length.

I also did the water pump last. As my belt seemed to be half a centimeter short, I had a mate hold the tensioner all the way to it's stop and then used a long screwdriver to lay the belt on and kind of let it slide on. Best way to do it but it can still be a real pain in the butt.

Latest posts

Back