Jade

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flying Scotsman said:
Best thing I can say is pretty much emulating others.

Put the new tank one, fill it up, run it, keep topping up till the system is full but have a good check around the engine bay as the engines running. If you have a tarp, lay it underneath for any obvious leaks to identify the sort of area.

Where are you located?

I will give that a go. Just so damned deflated right now. If it wasn't for bad luck, I would have none.

I am in Leeds.

I don't know of anyone around there to help out.
If you find you need parts, sound off and i'll see if I have what you need, don't worry about cost.

Its shite to get shafted like that so we might be able to help you get it back to glory.

Flying Scotsman said:
I don't know of anyone around there to help out.
If you find you need parts, sound off and i'll see if I have what you need, don't worry about cost.

Its shite to get shafted like that so we might be able to help you get it back to glory.

Thank you Flying Scotsman. I really appreciate that. I could do with a little bottle of reassurance, a hug and someone to tell me its not as bad as its looking at the moment. :cry:

Seg

I would guess that the car has a habit of overheating, hence why the holes will stop the coolant system pressurising and overheating.

It could as simple as a thermostat, but I'm no mechanic.

spike. said:
I would guess that the car has a habit of overheating, hence why the holes will stop the coolant system pressurising and overheating.

It could as simple as a thermostat, but I'm no mechanic.

I really hope so.

Flying Scotsman said:
If I showed you the results of my recent engine mishap, you'd know this is but a hiccup

lol.

Thanks guys.

Think I need to sleep on it and see what tomorrow brings.

Thank you all once again.

Seg

Boooooooost by the looks of it! Turbo shenanigans!

On the plus side, decent replacement engines are cheap, it's the fitting that costs a bit but there's nothing that's massively crippling to replace on a Puma. Chin up - it'll be ok fella!

The Arch Bishop said:
Boooooooost by the looks of it! Turbo shenanigans!

On the plus side, decent replacement engines are cheap, it's the fitting that costs a bit but there's nothing that's massively crippling to replace on a Puma. Chin up - it'll be ok fella!

Thanks man. :)

Issues- rear arch rust, bubbling header tank, drilled holes so when it gets up to heat will bubble and squirt all the engine coolant over the road and engine bay- leaving a hot running engine with no coolant. Anyone who buys a car with this issue has bought a lemon.

adampuma said:
Issues- rear arch rust, bubbling header tank, drilled holes so when it gets up to heat will bubble and squirt all the engine coolant over the road and engine bay- leaving a hot running engine with no coolant. Anyone who buys a car with this issue has bought a lemon.

Its pacific green. I would have thought a lime would be more appropriate. :)

Funny thing is, when was the last time you removed an expansion tank to look for 4 drilled holes when buying a car? Yes it was bubbling but not leaking at the time. Leaked after I changed the hcv then topped up. It does have rust over the rear wheel arches, but considering it is a 14 year old car it isn't that bad at all. It is a good job the car has only been driven to my house then so I can't leak coolant all over the road.

Thanks for pointing all this out I will know for next time. Why can't anyone else be this helpful
Thank you. :lol:

I had a similar experience after buying a black lemon E36 coupe,
except some fella had put miracle head gasket sealant into the coolant and the problem only came to light after I changed the coolant, then all hell broke loose, flying temp gauge, blown hoses and a cooked motor, in the pissing rain on my way home from work....
had the car 2 weeks, cost me 4000 euro initially, rebuilt motor 1000....
It can happen to the best of us... no matter how much it sucks..
At least the car didn't cost to much !
you may just have a thermostat prob, but to be honest imo, I agree with previous posts saying suspect head gasket, a compression test may tell you the suspect bore, or have the coolant water checked with a test kit to confirm the head gasket...
a similar bottle of stuff may get you out of a fix !
some are guaranteed 99% of the time to repair the head gasket.
I am not recommending the stuff personally but it may help, and get you by for a few weeks while you save up..
best of luck with your sick cat, hope you get her sorted..

You can buy lemons brand new - my farther in law bought a brand new Passat that was atrocious! I have never looked for holes drilled into the expansion tank before and I imagine very few people have. Many of us have bought a polished turd over the years so there's no reason to feel belittled about it.

I wonder if it's worth checking a few things before condeming the engine though. There's no proof that the seller diagnosed the issue correctly themselves. Could you whack a bit of gaffer tape over the holes and see if it pressurises and maybe try a different cap for the tank? You never know, it may be something simple like a failed coolant cap that the seller overlooked.

If the engine is shot, IanG on the forum usually has a wide range of engines for not a lot of money - you'd be suprised just how little they cost delivered and Ian is a good guy.

Lots of support on here so don't worry too much.

The postman has just delivered a new(well used) expansion tank to my work so I will fit that when I get home and see where we are feom there.

Thanks Arch

Like lozzy said some garages have a sort of sniffer kit that checks the expansion tank water for hydrocarbons. If you get a colour change on the water it's pretty likely that the head gaskets gone. See if your local garage has one and get it checked out relatively cheaply.
Barry

Thanks guys.Ill get this tank on this evening, check water flow and see where we are. Been quoted between £250 & £350 and upto 3 days from a lad I know for hg if needs be. Fingers crossed for tank, therm or water pump.

Be careful again "a lad I know" might mean cam belt issues again. Look through posts on here for knackered engines caused by people attempting cam belt changes. There are one or two people on here who will do cambelt changes for you at a price. Might be better off asking them. I know the cambelt doesn't have to be changed and so you will avoid loosening the vibration damper but the tensioner will have to be released and re-fitted and if done incorrectly you're into a head re-build
Barry

Latest posts

Back