Jade

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers Barry.

Should have said, the lad I know is a mechanic and not just joe bloggs wiv some spanners. Lol

It can still be tricky if he hasn't worked on one of these engines before. I take it you will be replacing the cam belt at the same time. If you are I have some info that may be of use to your mechanic friend before he starts. It may well be on here somewhere as well but if you pm me your E-mail I'll send it to you.
Barry

Thanks Barry, PM sent m8.

So bit of an update:

Expansion tank arrived today so I was eager to get home and get stuck in.

Got home from work at 5:30pm, threw my tea down my neck, slipped into my high vis waterproofs and put up the gazebo over the car, buzzin.

Quick slurp of the brew and set about removing the drivers head light, another slurp, started on the alternator. The missus then shouts me over to collect another brew, quick toke on the E-Cig (2 weeks since I last had a proper smoke) anyways, pipes off the thermostat housing (clips need replacing) time to remove the 4 bolts. Low and behold, 3 bolts out and the 4th is knackered. Can't get any purchase on it at all. Time for another brew, toke on the e-ciggy, scratch my head, rummage around the toolbox, sprayed the little bugger up with penetrating fluid. 30 minutes later found a good 3/8 socket that seemed to fit quite nicely. Move the ratchet in a tightening manor, and to my delight the little sod moved, so adjusted the ratchet and whipped the last one out. Oh the relief, it had to be the bottom right one that is hard to see, lol.

After that I gently eased the hosing off to reveal the thermostat:
thermostat.jpg

therm2.jpg

therm3.jpg

After taking the thermostat out and cleaning the two ports up, I had a look at the housing and began to clean it up:
Housing_close.jpg

housing_close2.jpg

As you can see at the bottom in the groove where the seal goes, the wall is bent. Just above there, just inside, there is a split too.

So after all that, I could do no more this evening, (finished at 9:15) so I packed up and ordered another housing to pick up tomorrow. I was hoping to get it put back together tonight, but considering the probs I have had, not too bothered. I will crack on with it tomorrow night.

Seg

Lets just hope thats all it is,if you havnt changed the hcv it might pay you to,but it MUST BE FORD PART,as these can sometimes cause over heating symptons aswell.

martinthrapston said:
Lets just hope thats all it is,if you havnt changed the hcv it might pay you to,but it MUST BE FORD PART,as these can sometimes cause over heating symptons aswell.

I hope so Martin. Yeah I changed it the other day m8, before I noticed the expansion tank leaking.

Seg

martinthrapston said:
You should be able to check water pump vanes aswell whilst housing is off,

I had a quick dabble around but not sure where. If I am looking straight at the hole, where/which direction should I poke about at?

If the vane part turns with just touching and moving it with finger,its knackered,if its stiff and dont move its fine,as it should only rotate when pumps is rotating .

martinthrapston said:
If the vane part turns with just touching and moving it with finger,its knackered,if its stiff and dont move its fine,as it should only rotate when pumps is rotating .

I shall have a check tomorrow after work.

Thanks

Not having much luck with that are you...I'm almost tempted to buy it off you...I just love a challenge...

You are doing the right thing...getting stuck in, and not letting anything put you off..I'm new to pumas myself, so am enjoying this thread, I am learning so much,

If I was closer, I'd be round, with my tools helping you sort it...good luck pal and keep us updated with pictures too..

Warren

Hey Warren.

You keep your money in your wallet pal. This cat is going nowhere, lol.

You are right, not having much luck, but I would rather my problem be thermostat related as oppossed to hg. As I said to our lass, I will work through this issue, if this doesnt solve it, and if the water pump is ok, then last resort is hg.

It would have been nice to have got it bqck together and tested. If it does need hg then it could have gone in today.

Thanks Warren

Nay probs mate,

Missus would kill me if I bought another, only bought hers last week, love it so much I want one of my own...as well as my TDi Golf :), we are in the process of buying a house, so as soon as that's done, and we are in, I'll get myself a wee project...I'm itching to get started already tho lol

OK, so everything back together, run car for 20 minutes, but my rad is cold bottom pipe is hot top pipe cold. Any ideas.

Seg

I couldn't see, put my finger inside and applied pressure while turning pulley, seemed OK. should I flush rad from top or bottom

Hi Simon I should go with gravity and flush from the top. How did you get on with the new expansion tank on? Was it bubbling when you ran it up to temp?
Barry

I suppose if the rads blocked it might be boiling over. Did you look at the temp gauge? Carry on the good work and I hope it works out right.
Barry

Latest posts

Back