Loom differences...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peppyuk

Started the engine change on the Puma this week and have a few differences with the wiring in the car. Car is a later model and the engine and loom are from an earlier car so having to swap it all over.

Problem one;
What do I do with this, there wasn't one on the loom I've removed so I've nothing to plug it into. This is behind the dash on the passenger side.

Problem two;
The heating connection, replacement loom only has six pins in the plug and the connector in the car has eight. I can cut the six pin plug off and solder the eight pin one on but I'm left with 2 wires missing. Could the extra two wires be something to do with the aircon? It seems as if the replacement wiring loom I have didn't come from a car with aircon.

Can't help with number two but looking at number one that looks like the airbag connection for the passenger airbag. Do you have one fitted?

red said:
Can't help with number two but looking at number one that looks like the airbag connection for the passenger airbag. Do you have one fitted?

Lol, of course it is! No I don't have one so I'll assume I'll get a warning light?

Yes you will. I believe there's a certain resistor you can use to trick it in to thinking there's still an air bag there

That's useful, thank you.

I also have a spare multi pin plug behind the off side head lamp. Didn't have it on my old loom, any ideas anyone?

Hi pep.
The donor car was non air-con.
I recon the plug differences and spare plug are air-con connected.
Also, the airbag control module lives behind the dash on the passenger side in the early cars, I`m sure you`ve sussed this one out.
I can`t remember for sure but I think the donor had twin bags and the spare yellow plug certainly does look like a airbag plug to me.
Hows the rest of the swap going?

I think I have most of it sorted out. Just got to finish the wiring. If I can get a couple of spare evenings next week I should have it fired up.

There are three main wiring generations in pumas. Analogue dash loom, early digital and late digital dash. Obvious changes are the heater plug you pointed out, obvious dash wiring, and a completely revised battery junction box on the late digital cars. There are a few other minor changes including water temp sensor wiring but nothing too major that should stop you running the car. Make sure you have the PATS ring to match the ECU.

Latest posts

Back