mods mods mods..a 44,000 mile puma with full service history

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Get Native

so I recently picked up my second puma, a clean example in metallic blue with a full ford service history up to 35,000 miles, its only done 44,000!

I need some proper advice before I spend loads of money on mods.

I was so shocked at the add I drove to see it right away, and the comparison in the way the engine's felt was astounding , not to mention the owner telling me that she was reluctantly selling it :)
so I got my dad to buy it for my mum to drive (44 years no crash's, very slow driver) , with the intention that when I can afford to do the mods, I'll take it off his hands.

so with it being in such nice condition, I am reluctant to convert the bodypanels to the FRP style, but do want to uprate the handling and power, perhaps with a full engine rebuild and turbo conversion.
I've been reading through a lot of the threads, but am left with some tough choices as I will be needing a garage to do the conversion work, I don't have the tools, space or confidence to attempt the build :/ my local garage who we have mates rates with said he can do some things, suspension, brake upgrades, but not full engine conversions.

So can anyone seriously recommend a decent garage to do the work? engine rebuild and turbo conversion at the same time.
lightning Motorsport seem to be the only answer google has given me, and I have no real idea of the quality of the work they do... can they really get 300hp+ out of the zetec 1.7?

thanks for reading and I appreciate any comments or suggestions,

Get Native

I would seriously suggest getting an FRP rather than spending Thousands trying to replicate one in looks or power.

Maybe just maybe an FRP would be an appreciating asset, whereas modding a standard Puma while paying others to do the work is a money pit.

Possibly the best approach with the car you have if its condition warrants it is to keep it standard and concentrate on economically wise restoration works.

Regards
q

Afraid I'd say don't mod it, keep it standard!

You'd be amazed how many positive comments you get with a mint standard Puma. Took me 30 mins to leave the Ford dealership last year as everyone wanted to look round it.

First off, maybe I should have mentioned that this is a track day oriented build, I'm looking to spend a few thousand quid. I accept that this will be expensive, but I want to build a fast puma and embarrass people who have spent way more than I have at the track, this seems like one of the cheaper routes, I cant afford an evo, skyline or supra or pepped car, and I worry about its age, history and how its been driven. I really don't want to rice out a civic, or have that bmw stereotype, not to mention the f******g insurance. this is a clean car, with a smooth engine, it seems it could handle the conversion and last for a good few years, being driven the way it was meant to :)

My other puma has done 138,000 miles, and would really benefit from a new engine if I'm honest, but I'm reluctant to spend any money until the build plan is sorted. so I'm stuck with a choice, max out the blue one, or replace the heart of my old silver one. Either way this needs to happen as a friend is building a god damn civic and has been licking the mudflaps of all things honda :( so I need to put him in his place and show him a proper fast ford :)

I'd keep the low mileage one as it is. If you're after something for the track there's these two on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Puma-Track-Car-/111678295195?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1a008b8c9b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2001-FORD-PUMA-1-7-16V-PUMA-PUMA-CUP-RACE-CAR-/301642553944?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item463b4c1a58" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also there's this FRP if that was the route you fancied:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-FORD-RACING-PUMA-STRAIGHT-NOS-STRAIGHT-CUT-GEARBOX-ROAD-RACE-PROJECT-/161705361113?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item25a663fed9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just some suggestions, food for thought....

its just a bit out of my price range, to get the FRP, and buying a prepared car is I think a bit more risky. (ragged then sold)

I just need to find a mechanic / workshop willing to do the really serious work, ie - a turbo conversion, without charging the moon, and my local boys can do the suspension, brakes etc, I can strip the car and do lights mods/ maintence, but I'm a driver, not a mechanic, Id rather pay for it to be done properly rather than f**k my engine up myself, its a real shame, because i'd love to do it, but it seems impractical and I have no tools.

I know there are a few turbo puma's on the forum, but can anyone actually recommend a decent garage or put me in touch with a trusted mechanic? I really appreciate all the above comments and advice, I just want to do this properly and not blow the budget :/

Id say leave it standard and get lms to do a conversion on your silver one and rebuild that to something different from the ground up

From the sounds of what you're saying I think you'll find that the price of that FRP will actually turn out to be a lot less than the cost of making the mods you're after. I've enquired about turbo conversions before and if memory serves me right it was going to cost over £7k

If you are seriously interested in modding the car to about 300 bhp, Lightning Motorsport offer 2 stages of turbo charging applications and also 3 or 4 stages of N/A packages too. Very reliable and good builds too. You should look at their website, it ha prices on it and maybe call the guy up see what he can do for you.

And to add to it, yes they can really get 300 out of a 1.7, my son has been in there working on 350+ bhp Puma's.

ah thankyou very much 'davedrave', its good to get some feedback on the quality of the work LMS do.
only question lingering at the back of my mind is .. how fast can a 300hp+ puma go? :)

It's alright no problem. The work they do is very good and as I said, if you look on their website under Tuning Kits you'll find all the information you need. A 300+ is bloody quick!! But, it does come at a price, its not exactly the cheapest thing in the world.

Hi,
I think you need a reality check here. If you go down the road of spending loads of money on a low mileage Puma that if kept in standard condition will, without doubt be collectible just to make it a modified car for use on a track forget it.
Buy a modified Puma, there are some about, preserve the best. Race the rest.
Perhaps if you write it off on your first track day that is one less good example left and the value of my mint 14k moondust will increase by 37p
I know this is a bit tongue in cheek but I post this with the best of intentions. Do not destroy an iconic car that is a fine low mileage example.

Regards,
Richard.

Well, before I waste my money, I've asked your opinion's as I'm trying to understand the reality of the build. I've never had a bad crash yet in over 7 years and do not intend to. Buying a prepared car I think Is a worse option but I haven't decided yet on the plan, I am still in the planning stage, but in my head a lower mileage engine would serve better as a build platform, what the hell is wrong with making a puma faster? Its hardly 'destroying an iconic car' This would be a cherished car, stored in a garage, driven only at the track and events and taken on a trailer, I couldn't afford to insure it on the road for a few more years! and if I crash it? well at least its not a collectible FRP.

And here lies the problem of now having 2 pumas...

The silver one has had a crash at some point in its life and been repaired, there is a small bonnet gap and the front bumper sits a tiny bit askew, plus the giant scratch on the drivers side, the glove box that falls off, the broken dials and the 138,000 miles etc etc. So either way I'm looking at an expensive bill, as the silver one really would cost a lot to put right, even more if I replace the engine, so maybe I can keep some of you happy as the silver one is worth killing on the track rather than sending it to the crusher :)

In a nutshell that's pretty much it, isn't it? The Silver needs money spending on it anyway, so max out the Silver one. The Blue one is mint, so why touch it?

Presumably, the alternative is to spend money modding the Blue one and then spend more money to bring the Silver one up to scratch? So from a purely Pounds and Pence perspective, it seems to me that modding the Silver one makes the most sense.

If the choice was mine then I'd go down the route of modding the Silver one, but ultimately, they're yours to do with as you wish so as Paul put it:

"Do whatever makes you happy and you can't go wrong :)"

Or

Swap over the engines from the blue and silver and mod and track the silver, you may be able to find a lower mileage engine later down the line to then put in the mint blue one or simply swap them over again it you have a smash or mishap which doesn't affect the engine.

That's what I'd do in your position.

I agree with the rest. I'd kept the mint one stock. A track car has to be dissasembled in many ways: interior, engine, suspension... so if the silver is asking for a service you have a win/win situation. Mint stock car for street and a resucitated beast for track.

For example most motorcycle riders do that, vehicles suffer a lot on track.

Latest posts

Back