MoT requirements

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XIIVVX

Best check through this lot.

Illuminated warning lights, coloured light glasses, missing catalytic converters and aftermarket HIDs are all going to fail you from this year onwards.

Also drivers seats that do not adjust forward/backwards, I have just had to remove my bucket seat as it was in a fixed position and the MOT tester said it would fail the MOT if left :evil: :evil:

I posted a link to the VOSA paper the other day if you're an insomniac.

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=15086" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And by the way, HID light will be legal if the beam pattern is ok. ;) If there is self levelling and washing then they must work (and if OEM) but don't have to be there to pass an MOT.

XIIVVX said:

Illuminated warning lights, missing catalytic converters and aftermarket HIDs are all going to fail you from this year onwards.

I had thought the first two already failed you and I am SO glad for the latter as I HATE people who shine their un-necessarily bright lights into my eyes when I'm driving! I hope they also test the angle of the headlights!

Dal said:

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=15086" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And by the way, HID light will be legal if the beam pattern is ok. ;) If there is self levelling and washing then they must work (and if OEM) but don't have to be there to pass an MOT.

thats a boring read, only got to the lights section lol

crystalpuma said:
XIIVVX said:

Illuminated warning lights, missing catalytic converters and aftermarket HIDs are all going to fail you from this year onwards.

I had thought the first two already failed you and I am SO glad for the latter as I HATE people who shine their un-necessarily bright lights into my eyes when I'm driving! I hope they also test the angle of the headlights!

They already check headlight alignment.

The catalytic converter has not been a requirement until now, however you do need one to pass the emissions test limits for vehicles which have had one fitted as standard.

They check headlight alignment my arse! They may do it on paper but they certainly don't actually do it considering that at least 20% of cars blind me to some extent (even before my car was lowered it was bad). Maybe the regulations are just too lax :(

I think that's aimed more at diesels that'll need it's OEM cat to pass even though it doesn't need one as there's no emissions test, just soot density.

Good job I sold my Mondeo ;)

crystalpuma said:
They check headlight alignment my arse! They may do it on paper but they certainly don't actually do it considering that at least 20% of cars blind me to some extent (even before my car was lowered it was bad). Maybe the regulations are just too lax :(

Probably more that some garages aren't as thorough as others. The guys I used to use down in Kent were very thorough with it, and were kind enough to set them up correctly for me the first time I took my car there

Dal said:

isnt that a current guideline? from what i gather that is to change

everything iv heard is that hids will fail without a washer system and self levelling etc

again that is current stuff, its common knowledge at the moment you can get away with it, the point is, from what i gather its going to change

ScubaSteve said:
Dal said:

isnt that a current guideline? from what i gather that is to change

everything iv heard is that hids will fail without a washer system and self levelling etc

Well it's the one that's linked to from here:

http://mottesters.co.uk/vosa_info_links.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Under:
The new MOT guide for January 2012 |click here|

And the fact it says OEM cats must be fitted to all vehicles or else it fails in section 7.1 is different to 2011 regs I believe for petrol and diesels.

Reason for Rejection
A catalytic converter missing where one was fitted as standard

As for HIDs, :Section 1.7 states:
Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system.
Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given.

VOSA - Testing Directive
Changes to vehicle testing: LIGHTING

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/technicalpenpicture3-lighting.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Section 1.7 – Headlamps
To keep the test up to date with modern technology, new checks have been added in respect of High Intensity Discharge (HID) and Light Emitting Diode (LED) lamps.

HID lamps use a gas discharge system and require a ballast, igniter and special high voltage circuitry. They do not use a filament in the bulb, but have two electrodes in a glass tube filled with Xenon gas and metal salts.

A high voltage is applied between the electrodes causing an arc to form which ionizes the xenon atoms, vaporises the metallic salts and creates light. A high voltage, typically up to 20,000 volts, is required to strike and maintain the arc.

Compared with halogen headlamps, HID lamps are more efficient, have a longer service life and are much brighter; up to three times brighter in fact. The benefit of this extra brightness is that it enables drivers using HID lights to see approximately 30% further up the road ahead than for a halogen system.

The downside of this extra brightness is the potential to cause excessive dazzle to oncoming traffic. To combat this, HID headlamps often have advanced electronics that control the shape of the headlamp beam to avoid dazzle when the car climbs or descends hills and likewise when the vehicle is accelerating or braking.

Dazzle can also be caused if the lamps are dirty or aimed too high due to, for example, carrying rear seat passengers and/or heavy items in the boot. Vehicles with HID headlamps are therefore required to have a headlamp washing system (a wiper is not required) and be self levelling, which may be achieved either by the use of either headlamp or suspension levelling systems.

The presence and operation of these headlamp cleaning and levelling devices has been added to the test. Therefore, if a mandatory headlamp levelling or cleaning device is missing, inoperative or otherwise obviously defective, the vehicle will fail.

This raises the question of whether these checks apply to vehicles fitted with after-market HID lighting kits. These kits convert conventional halogen headlamps to HID Xenon and they are widely sold and fitted to vehicles used on the road. The Department for Transport considers that after-market systems should be required to meet the same safety standards as that applied in respect of these lamps at vehicle Type Approval. Therefore, in order to pass the MOT test, vehicles fitted with after-market HID systems would also need to be fitted with headlamp cleaning and self-levelling systems. Some high specification estate cars are fitted with a self-levelling suspension system and this would be considered as adequate for the purpose.

It is also worthy of note that a few high performance vehicles fitted with HID headlamps that have barely any luggage space and stiff suspension do not require a self-levelling system.

HID headlamps can be easily recognised as they generally:
- take a few seconds to reach full intensity
- have a bluish tinge to the light
- have an igniter module/inverter behind the headlamp
- may also have ‘DCR’ marked on the headlamp lens.

Headlamp washing and levelling systems are mandatory for all vehicles fitted with LED headlamp systems, although these are not yet widely used and only tend to be optional fitment on some executive marques. However, as LED systems improve and because they can be arranged in almost any design configuration, they are sure to become more common.

Where headlamp levelling or cleaning devices are missing or defective, but there is doubt as to whether they are required, the benefit of the doubt should be given and an advisory notice issued.

my 1.7 passed its MOT the other day, I have refitted my bucket seat now...only needed 1 brake pipe on the n/s front and 1 lower arm on the n/s as the bush had gone..
so its on the road for another year..

cheers Paul

VOSA have just given us a load of updates and said get on with it! half of it contradicts the other half!

Mine passed with LED sidelights :cool: The tester said the bulb was so small within the cluster it didnt overpower the standard headlght and as some modern cars now come with LED running strips he couldnt fail it.

Latest posts

Back