My Puma.. Maximum Track Attack!!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well after getting married, honeymoon and just generally being the world busiest man for the last few months I finally found some time to work on the car.

Its been sat on the drive and hasnt moved for around 2 months now, flat battery, handbrake stuck on etc etc... basically looking very sorry for itself. So this winter the Puma will reinvent itself and im gonna be giving it a bit of a refresh and new look.

There are a long list of jobs I need to fix but as my Civic is blocking the drive space I just decided I would concentrate on the front end today.

Although the first thing I noticed when I moved the car back a bit.... Another thing to fix!

So first job was to replace crappy Kode quick release fixings which had faded after only a couple of months and the bands have snapped. Got some from my mate who owns EP Racing.

Ive also been looking into a few aero tweeks for the car, ive been looking at various race cars but FIA GT3 specifically and id noticed small gurney flaps on the rear edge of the front bumper. Supposed be extremely efficient at extracting air from within the wheel arch area, when that front tyre is acting like a spinning air pump! So I made some.

I'l be extending the front splitter as far back as possible using 1mm aluminium next.

Next I made a start on my brake cooling ducts, very big yes, but I can close them off should I need to. Just need to get some neoprene hose and route it to complete.

After that I got thirsty... What to do with the resulting empty can? Well make a catch can obviously! Orange as well so it matches nicely!

Inside ive made a couple of changes as well, snap off boss was the first and ive gone back to my "D" shaped wheel, much better for control, the dished one was just way too big and now my driving position is spot on

As well as that ive fitted a gear stick extender to bring the gear knob higher up, not by much but makes a massive difference, I dont feel like im reaching for the gear stick now.

Ive also got a new seat being delivered in the next couple of weeks. Same as this but all black with my custom #TrackAddict branding.

10413237_668139816567466_279399852_a.jpg

The next few months will see a big push to get the car back to where I think it should be, 2015 will be a big one for me and the Puma, I'l also be making my competitive debut in the Time Attack Hot Hatch class all being well.

Then... at the end of 2015 its going up sale. Onto pastures new.

Guerney flap looks interesting. We've just ordered some vortex generators from America for the roof. Have you done any research into these?

I have looked into the vortex generator and from what I can work out is that they are mainly used to realign and direct air towards a large rear spoiler which is why they were fitted originally to the Evo.

With out a decent sized downforce producing spoiler they wont really serve much of a purpose other than delay the air flow seperation as the air travels down the rear screen.

You also have to have them position correctly are the right angle of attack.

That mirrors the research I've done too. Now we have the evo wing installed we are planning on placing the vg's on the roof to aid airflow to it. Plan at moment is to place them about 100mm back from where the roof starts to slope down which will roughly be in line with the door handle. Not sure whether to place them straight or at an angle of attack of 15 degrees. No idea whether any of it will actually work but it's great fun doing the research. I'm also thinking that even without a wing or spoiler that, as you say, the delay in airflow separation would in fact be beneficial in the pumas case because of the sloping roof line. In this amazing picture you can clearly see the separation taking place further up the roof line than you might ordinarily expect

http://www.jerryolsondesigns.com/fordorphans/images-Puma/Puma-Windtunnel-35-w.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm of the opinion that vg's would aid flow down the rear screen helping to reduce the low pressure that the separation is causing. To that end we're awaiting the arrival of these, http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=360810822389&alt=web" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Any thoughts or opinions good, bad, or helpful welcome as all the race cars I've seen with sloping roof lines like the Puma have wings set very high like the evo one but apart from the mitsi road car no vg's :-(
And I'd be very interested in any pointers to the thinking behind your guerny flaps on your wheel arch. They look intriguing

You make a good point that delaying the separation is a good thing. For the relatively low price for a set of VG's there worth having a bash at, I may have a go with some myself.

Regarding the Gurneys on the front bumper I came across this which I why I decided to make them.

http://www.rollcentre.com/#!front-wheel-arch--gurneys/cv7m" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They do stick out much further than what Ive made but it was only a quick go at it, I may make some slightly larger ones. Im also going to vent the front wings to extract the air further.

Just won 2 of these on ebay, brand new for £100, retail at £85 each normally.

6740.jpg

Marangoni Zeta semi slick, as used in the bmw compact cup and other single make championships, read some reviews and they seem on a par with the Toyo R888.

Just need to get 2 more now!

Good buy mate! I know the owner of Gaz suspension used to race in that BMW series and he told me about these tyres. He liked them, so they can't be that bad!

Yeah, Id read some good reviews on them and there always seems to be cheap sets coming up on ebay.

Thought id give them ago, since im used to driving on Toyo T1-R's then these will deffo be an improvement, just need to find another 2 now!

they look like they are designed for road seats on runners. Similar to FRP sparco ones.

Too far forward and too high.

I'd fabricate your own ones from 5mm alloy and you should be able to get them nice and low. or have seat bars welded in.

I have some ones that I made myself from box section, think I'm gonna have a play around with them and see if I can make them better.

Had a little spend yesterday and bought the Puma some christmas presents....

5 point harness in Purple... Why purple, I dont know!

596.jpg

New Atech side mounts

SAM_0768_large.JPG

And Ive replaced my steering wheel, same again but my old was battered and mouldy

SVi-4150%20Product.jpg

Just need to get it all fitted now!

Can I just ask why you have not used seat rails as you can get the seat a lot lower.

With the way the seat is currently in which on my own custom subframes the seat is plenty low enough, Its just I had the Tailored subframes in my shed and thought i'd give them ago, Im going to remake the subframes I have and mount the seat a bit better as the last time I did it I sort of rushed it to get it done which meant the seat wasnt 100% aligned with the steering wheel, Its currently about 10mm the right of center.

Just with your car being a track car it's always better to have the center of gravity lower. I do like the purple belts mind.

LOL, I can barely see over my wheel, the seats are mounted on runners that are bolted onto some 1inch box section welded directly to the floor.

Back