New Puma project

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Barry, that's a great help.

I managed to look at the car during tea break at work... It was dark and I only looked through the wheels with a torch.
I want to get a heads up ready for tomorrow so I know what I'm looking for and what to do with it!

Hi Tony
Just to let you know a FWD car needs toe out so the front wheels need to be pointing away from each other by a small amount. If you have a look at the rig I did on my thread and make sure that the measurement between front to back is larger by a small amount, you should be ok.
Barry
PS if you can't find the spanner flats on the TREs use pipe wrenches on them (Stilsens)

Thanks Barry

There are spanner flats on the ends and one locking nut - both 22mm.

I've made an adjustment on each side with the front up on stands and the steering wheel straight. Both sides looked pretty straight so I left it at that.
The drive was tonnes better, although it tracks a little and sometimes pulls to the left. I will check the air pressure in the tyre on that side as it's the spare.
I can see the wheels are still pointing outwards slightly but as it feels a lot safer to drive, I'm enclined to leave it like that until I get it to a garage.

Hi Tony
Good job, did you make sure you twisted the rack gaiters back after you'd twisted the steering arms? I would imagine the tracking went out when you replaced the wishbones as one of the wishbones may have been an aftermarket one with slightly different dimensions.
Barry

Hi Barry.
I removed the clips from the ends of the gaiters and loosened the ends from off the arms. The arms then turned inside the gaiters without them twisting. The clips were put back on after.

Decided to post up an update which isn't really an update! :roll:

Yesterday my friend drove me to another friends to pick up my BMW which got left behind when I brought the Puma home.

Now I don't HAVE to drive the Puma, I can finally start some decent progress!

I got the bung for the AFR sensor welded on to my down pipe and got the whole thing wrapped with some 'special' heat wrap. Now it's wrapped the pipe is quite think so I'm hoping I can still fit it in the tight space down the back of the engine!

I don't quite know what the first job is going to be.... I think I'm going to mock the turbo and oil return on my spare engine so I know everything will line up.
I'm still having trouble sorting the oil return.
In the mean time I may start laying/running through all of the wiring for the gauges etc.

madhillbilly17 said:
if you've got the bm to drive just get it on :) sod the test fit on another engine :lol:
I still need to turn the turbo core and adjust the angle of the compressor housing to clear the centre shaft. It'll be a lot easier to do that on an engine on a stand than trying to do it in a small area in the engine bay.

The next few days will be taken up with getting the poly bushed gearbox mount/torque link fitted.
Will also fit the lower strut brace so I can take it to a local guy to see if he can weld in to it a section of intercooler pipe.

I've also ordered a few bits for the car including some different top mounts. I'm quite sure they will fit so will post up some pics if they do!

I think I've managed to work out the parts for the oil return.

One item has arrived:

e0e2e3d9388030b60ad53fd65e681b3c_zps6770cff2.jpg

Providing I've worked it out right, I've ordered all the remaining parts for the conversion apart from boost/vac pipes and connectors.

Started to fit the lower strut brace today, but came across a small snag.....

dedc040967867393a6652b10f74eac53_zpsea98200c.jpg

But good news is I've made an oil line for my turbo!

ea082eb71e4225e6c49a3b31e8517c67_zps5c56e586.jpg

Looking at different things that have obviously happened to this Puma before I got it, it seems that the subframe is bent.
Will explain why....
Drivers side wheel has huge flat spot on the inner edge
New wishbones put the wheel alignment out by a huge amount
Drivers side wheel is cambered inwards at the top causing balding on the inside
Handling still feels a little skittish

I'll be getting a subframe from IanG once I've finalised it with him.

I've still not been able to make an oil drain/return from the turbo so I'll be getting a local metalwork guy/welder to make me something instead.

I've been trying to do little bits that I need to do for the turbo conversion.
I've made the oil feed line and the new fuel lines to plumb up the fuel pressure regulator.
I've also installed the AFR gauge.

bc9ade26da5f0fa710196cb1c0610e7d_zps57839f14.jpg

ef15ca448f28ec7fa71c63ac7569dbde_zps968eb7ff.jpg

(The numbers were dissappearing on the camera as I was taking pictures)

The reading sits at 14.7 and only really changes when the accelerator is released or suddenly Gets buried into the floor.
It's very surprising how quick the air/fuel ratio changes.

I've used a piece of foamex for now, but will find something more permenant when I get the other gauges in.

Other than the gauges, I've got the intercooler to put in plus as much pipework as I can so when I come to install the turbo, it will basically bolt on and connect up.

The battery will get located to the boot to make room in the engine bay.

I've still got the splitter I bought from Richard which might get fitted tomorrow.

CherryVimto said:
A small list of things than need doing, sort of in order of urgency...
Obtain and fit replacement subframe
Obtain and fit replacement wheels
Replace front brakes DONE
Replace wishbones DONE
Free binding rear brakes
Fix non cancelling indicator SHOULD BE FIXED WHEN WHEELS ALIGNED PROPERLY
Swap electrical plugs on drivers door window switches (switches reversed) DONE
Get rid of the disgusting green dash/dial lights

Other jobs:
Re-hang exhaust with shorter rubber mounts DONE
Poly bush rear beam
Poly bush ARB
Fit poly bushed torque/gearbox link
Fit camber adjustable top mounts
Fit coilovers
Fit front splitter
Strip interior
Start to fit parts for turbo conversion ONGOING

I did a little something today that wasn't necessarily planned....

ee9e02945bd0902970d9a0438e5eb89b_zpsea49a946.jpg

9eea4ab71dc0f34ec4c490a692b38869_zps2eec6915.jpg

I didnt find any of that black stuff on the floor under the carpet that everyone hates removing....

That `black stuff` you describe above is right there!!
Ford did actually paint over it you know..

just the passenger compartment (ie not behind the dash) yielded 7kg of the wonderful black tar crud
It`s actually fairly easy and quick to remove, I used an electric heat gun and an old 25mm wood chisel
It`s actually quite therapeutic..

Though with the power you`ll be pumping out, 7kg will be neither here nor there...

trublustu said:
That `black stuff` you describe above is right there!!
Ford did actually paint over it you know..
I did wonder if it had been painted. I think it looks quite tidy so I'm going to leave it - I'm not going all out weight saving.

trublustu said:
Though with the power you`ll be pumping out, 7kg will be neither here nor there...
I've removed some of the interior so I can get a few areas welded up before they get too bad but as I started it I decided to carry on.

I've still got the thick stuff behind the pedals/dash to pull out but that will be gone soon.

Prep work I've done so far ready for turbo install....

Turbo downpipe made and wrapped
AFR gauge installed
Fuel lines for regulator and return to tank made
Turbo oil feed pipe made
One way valve in vac pipe for purge valve installed

Prep work still to do....
Install remaining gauges (boost etc.)
Install intercooler and as much pipework as possible
Move battery to boot

List of jobs for this weekend....
Fit front splitter
Fit poly bushes to rear beam
Fit AP coilovers
Anything from the list above if I get time.

Also, I've got the metal worker coming over to see what he can do/make for my oil return! :thumbs:

Latest posts

Back