Nurburgring picture and update thread

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dal

Administrator
Staff member
Well the guys have made it to the Ringhaus in one piece!

Paul (Mort666) send me this via MMS:

[fullalbumimg]2476[/fullalbumimg]

:D

Excellent :)

Hope they get some good laps tomorrow

*jealous*

Glad to see they all made it in one piece! Hopefully the forecase over there this weekend is a lot better than it is for over here...

And Neil, I'm bloody jealous too mate, Paul even managed to snap an Alfa 147!!

awesome.

Cant wait to see some pics and vids.

And im extremely jealous too, lol

we're all back, very safe, and everyone and all cars in one piece. :)

:big grin:

none of us did this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grb079bY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... re=related

P1070820.jpg

P1080088.jpg

Got back safe and sound just before lunch time today. I'm glad I decided to have the rest at thurrock last night instead of heading straight for home as although I could have done the miles, I guessed it would be midnight when I got home and it turned out I fell asleep in front of the TV around 10:45 :lol:

anyway, I thought I would do a bit of a trip report:

Thursday:
Late setting off from home trying to miss the most of the heat in the afternoon. Set off for the hotel in Ramsgate arount 4PM and got there hot and sweaty around 9:30PM. Didn't think the weather boded well for the trip as there was a massive thunderstorm around midnight which knocked out the power to the hotel twice lol :D

Friday:
Meet everyone else in Dover. Introductions made to Andy's friends and Spike's navigator. Nice and stress free onto the ferry and a calm ride across the channel. Off at the other end with Spike leading using his satnav with me following with about 10 hand-written lines of directions (prepared as ever :lol:).
Things going smoothly till we had a rest stop after about 130 miles or so. Getting back onto the motorway landed us taking a slight wrong turning and ending up on a single lane viallage road with cobbles :D Ant in the modified GT4 wasn't too pleased about that. Well actually, I wasn't either as it was a tad bumpy :D
Anyway, off onto the right roads and the next stint into Germany........and stopped by the fuzz. Apparently they were on the lookout for people from the UK having a race to the ring and were checking out groups of UK cars running together. The chase was then on by the pigs to catch Yipeekiay who had just carried on driving when they tried to stop us :D They stopped him further along but then let him go when they found out our group wasn't anything to be concerned with :D
Last few miles to Nurburg were wonderful, finding some wonderful roads and noticing how the style of cars were gradually changing from shitbox sales rep types to M3s, elises, GT3s, GT3RSs, GT2RSs (there were a few porches lol.
arrived at the ring and Zara kindly and helpfully negotiated a new food and drink package with frank as the original one couldn't be done (the chef had had an accident and couldn't cook for us). The new package was all drinks and three BBQs one on each night for 70 euros.....cracking deal.

Saturday:
Woke up to the sound of cars being thrashed round the ring. Breakfast and then a walk down to the ring from the hotel to scope things out. After drooling our way around the carpark and sorting out the cards we needed to buy our laps on etc we decided to leave it a little while and have some lunch etc. thinking the very beginning of the public session would be silly season.
Went to get a spot of lunch at a nice restaurant in Nurburg, seeing more and more sporty vehicles turning up. It really is a petrolheads dream holiday location.
Once the Track was starting to open to the public we made our way back to the hotel with the view to head to the track, buy some laps and have a play. At the hotel we foudn out it had been closed due to a crash....a biker badly hurt (did wonders for my nerves lol). We decided to walk down and buy our laps while it was closed but on our way down it was re-opened so we decided to quickly grab some laps on our cards and head back up for the vehicles.
You got the feeling the nerves/apprehension were building as we all got ready, but it was time to get out there and experience the ring for the first time (it was the first time for everyone there which was pretty good).

First lap: oh my fucking god.....how fast do those BMWs and porsches go???????? spent most of the lap checking mirrors and being impressed at the speed of some of the cars on the track. rather scary but wow, such a thrill at the same time. Came off the track buzzing with the thrill and partly relieved to have made it round in one piece, the same as everyone else thankfully.

The rest of the afternoon was spent discussing the lap and when to go back out, deciding that late in the evening would be better when it had calmed down (at one point I had a line of 4 GT2 and GT3RSs coming passed me :lol:)

Second lap: we went out around 7PM and it was much better. hardly any cars out in comparison to earlier and much more chance to enjoy the lap and take some better lines etc. Haven't got a clue about times, but that wasn't the point for me, just to get round in one piece each time, but push a tiny bit harder each time too. Came off on an even bigger high, both tyres starting to bobble up nicely and sticky to the touch, not bad for touring tyres :D

evening was the BBQ and lots off very nice bitburger beer and discussions about when we should do laps on Sunday.

Sunday:
Early start so that we could get down to the track for around 8AM when it opens to the public.
Third lap:
on a par with the second one with not much other traffic on the track and able to take decent lines and not be looking in the mirrors all the time. Think it was slightly slower than my second but I had at least half a lap completely clear, thoroughly enjoying it.

Went back to the hotel for breakfast and discussions on the lap we had just done, with Andy buzzing more than anyone as he hadn't bothered doing a second on Saturday. I think he really enjoyed the more clear track a lot :)

for the rest of the morning we had a chilling out time, wandering round part of the track, watching the other nutters hammering round, and snapping them at one of the early corners, seeing how mad it all looks.
we had a nice break for drinks and ice-cream before having a walk up to the castle up on the hill above the town....stunning views of the town and the surrounding hills. you could see some of the track but not very much of it. You could see over the new GP track/buildings etc.

It was then back down to the hotel to prepare for our final laps (everyone had bought a group of 4). Just when we were preparing to go out it starting spitting with rain, with the majority of the dark clouds over the far side of the track. We basically waited till it stopped raining and went down to the track entrance to see who was going out and try to gauge the conditions. One of the guys staying at the ringhaus driving a scooby said it was about 90% dry and only wet and greasy off line under the trees. The decision was made to head out for one last blast and it was quite a good lap, but I had to go off line a few times onto the wet patches so had to be a bit careful with the cornering and braking in these areas.
Back to the hotel and more BBQ and beer and also shared relief that we had all done our laps without any incidents.

Monday:
Monday was basically heading for dunkirk and the ferry, although we had a more leisurely start and set out from the hotel around 10:30AM. due to a couple of things (including some crappy road works) we only just made it for the ferry, turning up at the port just after 17:30 for a 18:00 sailing :D Luckily they let us on and everything was fine. The big experience of the day was around Lille where we could see some big clouds gathering. We had just had a huge downpour about 100 miles earlier when we were stopped with what I thought was about the heaviest rain I'd experienced for a while. The storn near Lille was something else though. Visibility was bad enough to make us (and other drivers) stop at the side of the road. I think visibility was down to less than 10 meters and was pretty scary, especially on the bike. The wind was gusting the rain and it felt like someone was throwing buckets of water over me :(
anyway, we made it back safe and sound to england with me a little bit soggy in places :lol:

All that was left was to go our separate ways, most to home and me to my scummy travelodge at Thurrock, for a well needed quiet nights sleep.

The ride up today was a bit soggy but nothing like the one near Lille.

To sum it up I think the ring experience was the best but most intense exerience one I've ever had and I can't wait to do it again, hopefully with you lot in 2010 :D :D :D :D

I've found some of the ring pictures from the pro guys online and posted them in the gallery. I've got about 120 pictures to crop and upload from my camera. I'll probalby just put them on flickr and add a link to here :)

Great write up Paul! :D

Nice little-ish summary of our weekend in Nurburg :)

All I can say is I've had the best weekend ever :D

From the moment me, Ant and Geoff set off from Watford Gap services to when Zara and I got back to the hotel in Leicester late last night, I've enjoyed every second of it - what an experience!

Sorry to copy you're style Paul, but I guess I might as well do a little write up of my Ring experience also...

Thursday:
Set off from where I "store" the Puma to meet Ant, Phil, Geoff and Jen at Watford Gap services just after lunch. We all had a travelodge booked at Ashford, 20 miles or so north of Dover. So there was no rush to get down there, but an hour and a half sitting stationary on the M25 in 30 degree heat wasn't pleasant. When we got to the hotel, we freshened up, had a drink and went out to the Pizza Hut across the road. We caused chaos and I think the waitress has now resigned - what a laugh we had there! Back to the hotel for a drink, then off to bed.

Friday:
Heavy thunderstorms during the night meant I didn't sleep much and I woke up early, so went out and gave the car a wipe down at 5 in the morning :-D Then we all set off for Dover and met at the petrol station. After a quick fill up and introductions, off to the ferry. I could've cried when I saw how close I had to park my car :teary: but thankfully the people in the cars around me were very careful. Do you think it had something to do with me watching their every move?...

Nice breakfast on the ferry and had a good laugh out on deck with everyone :)

Then a long, sometimes "eventful" drive over to Nurburg (see Paul's post above - my car and I were cringing over those cobbles) but enjoyable nevertheless :) It was a relief to arrive at the hotel though and all I can say is it's a really nice place. The room was clean, modern and a relaxing place to be. With a nice view of the road down to the Ring seeing and hearing all the cars going by. A quick shower, and on with the Hawaiian shirt :-D (you know you all loved it :p ) and down to the bar to have a welcome few beers and more laughs.

Saturday:
Woke up to a glorious day, and headed down to the Ring (after cleaning the car of course :-D ) to see what all the fuss was about. But I dropped my parents camera and it was beyond repair, so I was a little bit annoyed that I wouldn't be able to take any pictures and probably get shouted at. But thanks for everyones support and saying that my parents would prefer a broken camera and me in one piece rather than the other way round - fair point.

I had initially set out to buy a 4 lap ticket, but after speaking to Ross the night before about risk, etc I decided just to go out for the one lap. As long as I could say I'd done a lap and the car was still in one piece, I'd be more than happy, as that's all I'd initially set out to do. I wasn't planning on going when it was busy, but with the chance of the circuit being closed later on in the day due to the amount of accidents that day, I went out with everyone else.

I just took it easy (ish) on my first lap and was probably a little over-cautious as I broke far too early for every corner (better than late though) and I left my right indicator on for the majority of the lap. On reflection this was a little bit daft, but at the time it made me feel a little bit safer due to the track being so busy. And when you've got lots of fast, expensive traffic bearing down on you, every little helps. But despite this, what a lap! Although not pushing particulary hard, and not doing the things I'd wanted to do (carousel, hitting a ton, etc) it was still great fun :D but it was over far too quickly. But at the same time it was a relief that it was over, and the car was still intact.

Went back to the hotel on a high, but it didn't last for long...

Everyone came back after their second lap (when the track was quieter) and said how much better than the first it was. So it got me soooo tempted to do a second lap. It was going round my head from then, feeling a little out of it when people were talking about it, and I hardly slept trying to decide whether to do another.

Sunday:
I was up early and had psyched myself up to do a second lap. So I headed down before everyone else and got my ticket. We'd planned to meet up in the car park before heading out, but due to other cars blocking my way, I only had one way to go - out on the Ring. So off I went for my second and final lap and...

Wooohoooo!!!!!!! :D :D :D

An empty track for 90% of the 13 miles, only 5 or so cars going by me and 1 bike, pushing hard, squealing tyres, using all of the track, all of the revs, all of the grip, getting the back end to step out, up to 110 at one stretch, doing the carousel, enjoying everything the track had to offer - as far as I was concerned, a perfect lap :)

Now I was happy, I felt a lot calmer and at peace with myself, my head had stopped going round in circles (no pun intended) and as Paul said, I was buzzing :) You cannot have more fun in a car than that!

I went out with Ant later on that day after the track had dried up, and that too was an awesome experience - being able to keep up (on the straights) with Elise's and M3's.

Monday:
Do we have to go home?... A fantastic start to the drive back with glorious roads sweeping through the trees and mountains, then rain from another world coming down on us causing us not being able to see anything and having to pull over - I've never driven in anything like that before, and probably never will again. Then a mad dash to the ferry and arriving with literally seconds to spare - it really was touch and go whether they'd let us on or not.

Then after a welcome return to England and driving "normally", it was a fairly easy drive back to Leicester after saying our goodbyes to everyone.

I'd like to say thanks to everyone for making Ant, Phil, Geoff and Jen welcome and feel part of the group :) They thoroughly enjoyed themselves, had a laugh with everyone, and were glad to meet all of you. I lost count of the times they said to me what a nice bunch of people you all are and how they never stopped laughing.

And I'd like to say thanks to all of you aswell for making my weekend such a fun and memorable one :)

And a special thanks to my gorgeous (and tanned) girlfriend Zara, who had such an influence on my decision to do my second lap and if it wasn't for her, I don't think I would've have gone at all this weekend - thanks munchkin :)

But the star of the show was the car - 950 hard miles and she never missed a beat :)

Roll on next year... :D

I'm glad to hear Ant, Phil, Geoff and Jen enjoyed themselves Andy. It was really great to meet them all and it almost felt like they could have always been on project puma rather than just meeting them on the friday if that makes sense.

Tell Geoff I'll be looking for investors as soon as my 'ham & jam' company takes off ;) :lol: :lol:

Not a lot to add, Myself and Laura had a great time..

I only did one lap, lots of reasons, maybe the most was doubting my ability, to push the the car... Think the 360 spin the day after I got it, still haunts me... even though the useless tyres are now changed, and lots of improvements since!

Being pulled over by the German police was very scary, not knowing quite how or where to stop, luckily there was a handy garage! being up front meant I got the "your passport, license, and vehicle documents", by the gun wearing copper, and most of the questions!

My 2nd highlight to my probably over cautious lap, was getting a ring taxi ride, on the Sunday morning, as an English group had a spare seat!
8min 30sec of sheer thrills, amazing how everything on track moves outta the way for the taxi!

We saw everything from a coach, a VW campervan driven by an 80s tennis star, to ferraris on track.

I;m sure Laura kept everyone amused with her stories.

I guess Mort has now slept well! lol

The detour, was due to a road layout change, which wasn;t shown on the satnav! :) The cobbles where very bumpy!

The roads down to the ring where fantastic, hair pin bends up & down a hill! and the A258, was a nice route to Belgium, then we hit a concrete road, like a 5 mile carousel! lol

Thanks Dal, for the organisation, and sorting out the best hotel. You gave us all such a great weekend, just hope you;re there next time!

Great write ups guys - I'll definitley be there with you next year!

well Im home....

having done a 1300 mile all round trip.. LOL!!!

The trip for me started on Thursday as I headed down to Essex, drive down was fine with clear roads too...

I think everyone else has covered the details of the few days so I won't repeat them lol....

well chuffed with the hotel and the food packed I managed to negotiate for everyone, 70 euros was a bargain!! lol had a fantastic time on the ring, with my 2nd lap being the best one :d even managed to get the back end out a bit hehe

although I now have to go to the hospital in the morning with the return of my kidney infection on Saturday which made the drive back to the ferry very agitating having to stop all the time :(.. but thanks for putting up with me guys :)!!

Can't wait for 2010 trip to the ring already :D!!

thanks to everyone and it was a great bunch of people to have a laugh with too!!! Glad that everyone was safe and sensible aswell...

:D :D

we couldn't just abandon you now could we Zara. Anyway, it wouldn't have made the dash to the ferry as exciting if we had have just sped off and left you :lol:

I've managed to sort through my pictures and whittle them down to just a simple 120 of them :D

they can all be found here in my flickr gallery:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mort666/sets/72157621100280178/

but here are some of the highlights of the variety of sights for other people to drool over ;)

3698147277_af3d0093ec_b.jpg

3698153387_181c4e2e55_b.jpg

3698970124_2cd13074d8_b.jpg

3698974210_109732fb7a_b.jpg

3698979676_e878a57a13_b.jpg

3698174619_7d0c8de4d7_b.jpg

3698175807_083463952d_b.jpg

3698177689_420b05cd20_b.jpg

3698180169_3db00a7886_b.jpg

3698182337_63f46ba80a_b.jpg

3698208895_b7f5963040_b.jpg

3698214323_4877c51715_b.jpg

3699043148_ae88f256ff_b.jpg

3699038724_897f2c5254_b.jpg

3698995342_bf2a50cc8c_b.jpg

3698144193_997defd6ba_b.jpg

3699023140_0cf299085f_b.jpg

3698211647_a4d25a87d3_b.jpg

those GRT'S were nearly as good as sex!!!

dribble dribble!!!!

Not much to add that's not already been said.
Had a fantastic time,

A BIG THANK YOU to Zara for taking me to the Ring &
A BIG THANK YOU for giving me a fantastic thrilling ride around the track :thumbs:

Great company, scenery a good laugh. Some great piccys Paul,
- a shame my camera was acting up, although I did get a few piccys

Hope that you're feeling better soon Zara

Some great pics Paul!! :D

I'll be putting most of mine on Facebook but will upload some... love the ones with the 3 pumas (Andys, mine and Ross's)....

so excited for next year haha!!

Well I had to have one shot of us standing in a ring. we seemed to do it every time we were all together :)

zarablackcoupe said:
Some great pics Paul!! :D

I'll be putting most of mine on Facebook but will upload some... love the ones with the 3 pumas (Andys, mine and Ross's)....

so excited for next year haha!!

looking forward to next year too :) I'm just wondering if I can afford two trips there. one with my biking mates (if they want to go) and then a project puma one :lol:

I've been having a play with some software on the PC and come up with these two little treats. I've added a link to the full sized versions below each one too as if I showed the full sized ones on here they would take an age to load possibly :)

3699331568_4b21e41b94_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2529/3699331568_022ba26b77_o.jpg

3699362548_06e4ffd8ff_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2621/3699362548_7429166a71_o.jpg

Back