Project Aiya (Pic heavy)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had to tackle another little job that has been on my mind for a long time. The blower direction controller became really stiff, so much it destroyed the control cable. I replaced the cable and lubricated the mechanism on the side of the unit at the beginning of last year, but this didn't fix it.

DSCF4194 by Slayllian2, on Flickr

So I decided to strip and rebuild the heater control unit. But this was not as easy as I hoped as the dash needed removing.....again. :'(

The front part of the unit can be unclipped from the rear, allowing me to work on it inside. I found the problem to be that one of the flaps had become really stiff. I polished the slots and re lubricated the mechanism which sorted the problem. Rather a lot of work for an annoying little problem.

P1070088 by Slayllian2, on Flickr

P1070087 by Slayllian2, on Flickr

With the dash out I could see some damage caused to the sound proofing by water ingress a couple of years ago. I have since sealed this using general sealant.

DSCF4199 by Slayllian2, on Flickr

I also tidies up the cables and wiring loom with new loom tape. Another job I have done with the dash out is to re route the external temperature cables through the wiring loom and made a proper connector for the clock. I used a floppy disk drive power connector cut down to fit the slot.

DSCF4197 by Slayllian2, on Flickr

P1070089 by Slayllian2, on Flickr

P1070091 by Slayllian2, on Flickr

P1070092 by Slayllian2, on Flickr

P1070093 by Slayllian2, on Flickr

Next job to tackle is the cooling problem (running low temp) which I suspect is something to do with the new thermostat I fitted last year.

I do remember. Sad times. :(

Nice find on the spoiler, though! :thumbs:

Latest posts

Back