Project Russv

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russv

Heres my project thread for my Puma, some may remember it from quite a while back, as it used to belong to Lee Shephard (bpanther). I spotted it on ebay and had some money saved so couldn't resist it, even though from the description I knew it had been in storage for about 4 years! I won the car for £2601 in the end, which I thought was a good price, but knew it'd probably need a fair bit of work. I got it trailered down to my place for about £225 because the cambelt was overdue, and it just didn't seem like a good idea to try to drive it back after it had been sitting for so long (very glad I didn't now!). I used Anyvan.com to trailer the car down, which worked out a lot cheaper than usual, since you don't get charged for the return journey.

Once the car arrived, I saved up a bit more money and had the car trailered to Steve (STEAVIE on here) at performancepuma for the following work:

- Cambelt
- Water pump
- Aux belt
- Full service
- MOT
- Rust treat rear sub frame

Which he charged £495 in total

When it was there Steve noticed a few other things which needed doing:

- O/S/F hub had a problem, was de-threaded
- Front brake bracket was de-threaded
- O/S/F top mount was worn
- Replace VCT pulley & solenoid (with 2nd hand parts, was lucky he had them)

Which cost £290 to fix in total

Total cost with £20 petrol: £805

Steve put a lot of work in and done it all in a week, and charged very good prices for the work. So I can 100% recommend him, hes based in East London so if you live nearby you should check him out, you won't be dissapointed! Also theres a really nice cafe next door ;) It was easily one of the best experiences I've had with a mechanic, so big thanks Steve!

So now I have a to do list which I'm going to be working through:

- Remove decals (autostyledirect doesn't even seem to exist any more!)
- Fix windscreen wiper, not too keen on the single wiper mod, and the screen wash doesn't work atm
- Replace HCV (its stuck on hot, can hear the valve trying to open if I set it to anything but hot)
- Full rust treating
- Sort out the bonnet, the vent lets in a LOT of water and serves no practical perpose, so will cover it from underneath, and sort out the bonnet pins
- Theres a small mark on the rear which needs filling and touching up, plus a couple of other small areas which should be fairly easy fixes
- Remove 6x9s and front coaxials, install amp, 8" subs in the rear speaker bins, new front speakers, also it needs a headunit, and will check condition of sound-proofing
- Fit heated windscreen (maybe!)
- Look into removing harnesses
- Replace silver dash with black fiesta dash
- Fix window tinting (looking a bit tatty round the edges atm)
- Fix electric windows (very slow and the buttons are the wrong way round on the drivers panel)
- Install boot release button
- Try and get my head round the clifford alarm
- Boot seems to be letting in small amounts of water (maybe where the spoiler is attached, not sure)
- Try and make some cup holders for the centre hole behind the handbrake
- Change the rear spacers to 30mm
- Change mud flaps to black ones
- Change side indicators to tinted instead of clear

Things I have already done:
- Removed windscreen decals
- Changed steering wheel to black Momo Jet
- Fixed speedo lighting as it wasn't working
- Heater direction dial wasn't working, just needed plugging back in

Because its winter and I don't have a garage, most things are going to be done over the spring/summer. Not a fan of working in the wind/rain/snow!

Pics of how it looked when it first arrived (except it didn't have the stars or shopping list down the side):

:grin: Great to see this car getting some love and attention!

What a great project introduction with lots to do!

Quite a lot of the topics have been covered before so search and if you can't find it ask and we'll do our best.

Thanks mate :) I've been through loads of posts over the past month or so, saving all the posts which will be useful. Really nice having such a huge amount of info available!

Oh btw, since you've had an FRP, I'm wondering if you noticed something: When I turn the wheel, just before it goes to full lock it sort of pulls itself round to full lock by itself, I only noticed it yesterday when parking, but was a bit weird. Do you know if thats normal? (doesn't feel like it should be). Cheers!

Yep I'm pretty sure that used to happen on the FRP both left and right.

I imagine it's something to do with the limited steering vs a different camber vs quite wide tyres but I don't know for certain.

It would be good if when you cover the bonnet vent from underneath you do it with clear perspex / acrylic so it doesnt spoil the look :cool:

I remember him (bpanther) starting on this project many years ago, nice looker now. Good luck with the jobs at hand mate. Looking forward to seeing the final product :cool:

I have found water goes in via the fuel filler cap and the seal around the pipe to the tank, water sits in there and trickles in at the bottom of the filler, look at that first...boot really seems to seal well no matter the car..

Thanks for the nice comments everyone :)
paulob1 said:
I have found water goes in via the fuel filler cap and the seal around the pipe to the tank, water sits in there and trickles in at the bottom of the filler, look at that first...boot really seems to seal well no matter the car..
Ok cheers mate, I'll check it out.

quest63 said:
It would be good if when you cover the bonnet vent from underneath you do it with clear perspex / acrylic so it doesnt spoil the look :cool:
Got to agree this is a much better option. Will keep the look but not the leak.

As for the rest, great write up and glad your getting it fettled good and proper. Was quite suprised how much your having to do actually. I knew there was a couple of issues from what I saw when I went to see it but not as many as you've found. Think you still got it at a cracking price as it's an awesome looking car overall. Also glad you bought it and not me as it'd probably just get abused if I'd bought it.....lol.

Keep us all up to date as it's a lovely car :thumbs:

Hmm I went to change the battery today to one with more power, dimensions are L242xW175xH175mm, which I thought was correct, as I looked at a lot of them in multiple shops and they're all that size, and everyone on here seems to say thats the right size as well, but it doesn't fit in the holder o_O I didn't bother to measure the old one, but now I've measured it its only about 205mm long.

Does anyone know whats going on? :lol: Maybe Lee fitted a fiesta battery holder? Seems strange!

Hoping someone will say I've got the wrong holder, so I can just buy the proper one!

Oh and thanks for the nice post yip, forgot you wrote that :)

I might try and fit the perspex in the vent today seeing as its dry and I'm 'working' from home lol

I believe Fiesta batteries are 207-210 so you're probably on the right lines.

IIRC:
Puma 1.4 battery was 210 x 175 x 175
Puma 1.6 battery was 242 x 175 x 175
Puma 1.7 battery was 242 x 175 x 175

Ah cheers, just found one one ebay for a tenner delivered, not too bad. Checking with them before I buy it though just in case :cool:

And thanks longyear :)

Just thought I'd say, I have been busy buying a few bits, just waiting on a couple of final parts and will fit them asap (I want to do them all together because I have to disconnect the battery):

- New battery
- Cannon mudflaps
- Black fiesta speedo surround
- Black fiesta heater control panel
- Black fiesta airbag steering wheel
- Kenwood KDC-6047U headunit
- Harnesses partially removed, will be getting the pre-tensioner seatbelt plugs soon (I will need the rear seats sometimes)

Some of it is down to the 2012 MOT stuff.

Its mostly pretty boring stuff I suppose, but will be interesting to see how it looks :)

I've been pretty lazy with the bonnet vent, just that its going to be really fiddly so every time I go out and think about it, I just tend to find an excuse to drive it instead lol. "oh I ran out of mineral water, damn I have to go to the shops now" :lol: But I am getting bored with having no stereo, so thats definately going in pronto.

Back