Pumacharger mk2

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow the work you are putting in is incredible! love the project, following with interest!

What weight do you think the car will be when you have finished 800 - 850 kg?

lovely car and great project coming along well...
thinking about trying this my self, just out of curiosity where does the vacuum pipe from the recirculating valve connect to?

Awesome. I'll have a word on the pedal box, see what he can do.

Want to come do my wiring? I hate electrical stuff.
Also how does the dash come out? 3 bolts by windscreen, one on each side and two in the middle or are there some more I have missed, as doesnt want to come out of mine.

Thanks alot guys, i'll try to put pics up everytime i do a bit work on it.

Monday was all about cleanup. I had tools everywhere, must've walked a mile back and forth with tools in my hands for various boxes. sweep and clean up the pot of paint i kicked over lol. took me hours.
Lastnight was more productive. fitted MF2 injector conrtoller and finalised wiring. I've decided to not put this on a switch this time as it really has to be on with the ignition so it has its own power supply now, also fitted the mf2s pressure sensor. middle between pressure reg and breather filter.
IMG_0297.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg

removed the rear suspension, a few rounded heads turned this into a frickin nightmare for a bit, even pulled a muscle, quality..
IMG_0302.jpg

cleaned and brought together the front bits and bobs. new ball joints, track rod ends and drop links. standard issue repo ones for now.
IMG_0298.jpg

having myself a night off for some recovery, suspension will be here tomorrow or friday latest apparently, so i'll be able to finish the front end entirely.

Voa said:
What weight do you think the car will be when you have finished 800 - 850 kg?

The last car with half tank of fuel a standard passenger seat and a bottle of lucozade was 960kg. aiming for around 900 to 910 i think. if it were under 9 i'd be well happy. remember the charger etc are all weight.

lil_lee said:
lovely car and great project coming along well...
thinking about trying this my self, just out of curiosity where does the vacuum pipe from the recirculating valve connect to?
the vacuum comes from the inlet manifold just after the throttle body. theres a spare take off pipe that has a rubber cap on, remove this and put the pipe on :grin: throttle on makes positive pressure-recirc valve closed, throttle off makes negative pressure- valve open. Unlike a turbo the s/c is making boost all the time so it has to be done this way or it causes problems.

Reechard said:
Awesome. I'll have a word on the pedal box, see what he can do.

Want to come do my wiring? I hate electrical stuff.
Also how does the dash come out? 3 bolts by windscreen, one on each side and two in the middle or are there some more I have missed, as doesnt want to come out of mine.

If we could get a bit discount it'd be great. their around the 280 mark so even 500 for the pair would save us both £30. try him at 4 lol. will be looking to do this around october november time. if your up for it i'll put up the pics and you can follow my install if you like.

dash has two plastic side plates that pop of to reveal another two torx bolts, the steering column has to be removed also. this clamps the dash structure in place. there are two main nuts 13mm to remove then a L shaped clamp that has two ,one under the column pointing up the way, both 10mm. you'll have to take off all the plastics and wiring. just unscrew the ring for your key and the ignition switch is cliped into place a small driver gets it out in a flash, push in the springy bit either side. the column then has a 13mm bolt holding it to the uni joint. take the bolt out and its angled captive nut, the camp will come off easy. metal spring retaner around it is the tricky bit. then the three bolts along the top, four out the bottom bracket and thats it reech. be aware of the connectors for the heater box when you pull it out disconect as it comes out. you'll need a lift with it tho, more akward than heavy.

as for your wiring. well im bout 500 miles away i think lol.

Thanks for the advice!

500miles, scotland is only a days drive away man up lol.

I'll send Sam a message and try and sort something then. I'll have to give the dash a go on the weekend.

blimey, it's like some medical drama but for pumas!! it's been really interesting to see what some of the things i've heard of (but have no idea what they are) look like! and, interesting to see where the pixies that run flissy live! :lol:

t xx

Never thought of it that way taliabee, Arent you chirpy :wink: drMechanix lol. My pixies are on a training regime, like rocky balboa, bench pressing valves and using oil pump as a pull up bar. Even got eye of the tiger playin in the background :D
Been unwell for a few days so took a little break from it. Got back to it today. Suspension arrived friday, ooh shiney.
IMG_0304.jpg

put the front end together. Struts with mounts, arbdl's, driveshafts, hubs, brakes, tre's etc
IMG_0306.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

IMG_0307.jpg

removed fuel tank and last of original piping.
IMG_0308.jpg

rear inner arches are a little rusty under wheel splash covers. nothing serious just surface rust, but next job.
IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0311.jpg

Thats the month up and well, as you can see its no finished. I'm quite pleased with how much i've accomplished in such a short time frame tho. Getting to the stage where there's no point rushing it, so i'm addin another three weeks to the schedule.. 8 weeks to build a whole car still insy bad tho eh.

underside stone chipped and waxoiled, still wet in pic.
IMG_0325.jpg

rear inner arches done
IMG_0330.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

axle dropped, cleaned, de-bushed, sanded, painted and installed
IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_0315-1.jpg

IMG_0316-1.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0340.jpg

new fuel tank, breather valve and filter ( inside the fuel cap which i'm proud of :grin: ),
IMG_0335.jpg

IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

swirl pot and both pumps. white one is from tank to pot. other is high pressure to engine. Still have one return line to fit but i'm out of pipe.
IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0347.jpg

also ran coonifer lines along sill for passengers feet. bit more unbreakable.
IMG_0351.jpg

Fuel lines connected, exhaust manifold fitted and a few bits and bobs.
IMG_0341.jpg

IMG_0344.jpg

I'm really close now. All the little finishing touches are what takes the time tho.
So I've got a question. What's going to happen when the evap system isn't connected? Do I attach the sensor to a bottle so it thinks it's working or do I just throw it away? Any ideas guys?

I am impressed m8 I don't come on here much lately, I like the fuel cell you have done a really good build on this second car , guess your budget has gone a little higher :)

I am in two minds about keeping my puma looking at getting a kit car for my next track day project had a blast in a westfield and was really impressed with the handling and the power delivery. I was working out how much I have spent and realised I could have picked up a built kit car for not much more and it would be easier to store and easier to transport on a trailer too and from the track.

Thanks guys, yeah will be running soon thankfully. Track day next Sunday and it will be there. Maybe not finished but close enough. Voa, yeah those things are fun. I've had a shot of quite a few from v8s to 1.1 screamers. Just like a go-kart. But for a track car I'll take a metal shell wi a fekin roof. Imagine someone tapping you into a spin at 120 and hittin the barrier or tyres in one of those things, Winter track days or lashing down rain, really? Lol. up to you obviously but the puma being fiesta based makes it the perfect little car to track. Fancy parts are easily available and reasonably priced, so upgrade as you go and realise that you'll never get all that money back. Just a whole load of fun :D

So any thoughts on the evap system? Obviously I've not tried it yet, hoping it's not going to affect the ecu giving me problems again. The other option would be to do away with the fuel breather and connect the evap valve to the new tank, but I hope this isn't nessecary.

Loving the fuel tank, basically what I want to do to mine at some point as the ally tank is just sat in a corner of the barn.

Are you down in this for ford fair?

Its looking great now its all coming together, how soon before i can hire you to sort mine lol.
The standard of work you have put in is fantastic! Keep it up.

mrMechanix said:
Thanks guys, yeah will be running soon thankfully. Track day next Sunday and it will be there. Maybe not finished but close enough. Voa, yeah those things are fun. I've had a shot of quite a few from v8s to 1.1 screamers. Just like a go-kart. But for a track car I'll take a metal shell wi a fekin roof. Imagine someone tapping you into a spin at 120 and hittin the barrier or tyres in one of those things, Winter track days or lashing down rain, really? Lol. up to you obviously but the puma being fiesta based makes it the perfect little car to track. Fancy parts are easily available and reasonably priced, so upgrade as you go and realise that you'll never get all that money back. Just a whole load of fun :D

So any thoughts on the evap system? Obviously I've not tried it yet, hoping it's not going to affect the ecu giving me problems again. The other option would be to do away with the fuel breather and connect the evap valve to the new tank, but I hope this isn't nessecary.

Wise words as always m8 :p storage is my garage is an issue with another car on it's way and the puma on a trailer will take too much space. Safety is a real concern though still not back in the uk until sept so will see what happens.

On the EVAP, disconnecting will chuck up error codes something like

P0443
Evap Emission Control System Purge Control Circuit Malf.

P1401
DPFE Circuit High Input

P1409
EVR Control Circuit Malfunction

My mate runs a locust with a puma engine where he ditched the evap system he says it runs ok think he runs the puma ecu probably tape .

Back