Quote to fit Heater Control Valve

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martinblueprint

I posted last week about getting a new Heater Control Valve.
I got one from Ford, paying pretty much the same price as other posters had paid.
I just called up a local garage to find out about fitting...£60!
He also said if it's the wrong part, he'll charge me £60 per hour while its on the ramp. WTF!

How much should this cost if I have to get it fitted? Might just do it myself.

There is a fitting guide, but the photo links are dead at the moment. It's not difficult to do really.

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=2432" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nope, everything is already there. The only thing you might need to replace for peace of mind is the hose clips. Quite often people use jubilee clips instead as they're more secure.

Its not difficult at all... and if all goes well doesn't even take much time.

Have to check for any bits of broken tube/nozzle from the old HCV that may be inside the hoses.... then push hoses onto new new nozzles on new HCV (once you have fitted in behind that heat-shield flap or whatever it is)... attach/tight clips and Robert is your mothers brother.

I don't have pics when I did the fix... but these are from when mine went.. may give you some idea...

The first is the bodge job/temp fix of just bypassing the HCV and putting the two hoses together with a piece of plumbing plastic..

AfterHome.jpg

The second the two hoses and the busted old HCV in the background...

FrigginHCV.jpg

Personally I did not like those pinch clips that Ford originally used and so switched to Jubilee clips when I fitted the replacement HCV.

EDIT: found another pic from the Forums own gallery of the hoses, hooked up and looking as they should...

album_picm.php

It's all fairly self-evident when you are looking at it and holding the relevant parts.

sounds about righht...just given charlottes ka a service, new hcv etc...looked through service history & receipts etc and found one or £100 to fit a hcv!!!!! and £90 to fit a top mount....er the hcv is £30 and took me 3omins, the top mount is £20 and took less than an hour...at home...on the drive!

tell him hes full of sh!t.....dont need to put the car on a ramp to change a hcv!

Rip-off merchant, or Puma friendly garage ... ?

I say sod them both - it is a minor, easy and quick repair that does not require the cost, or inconvenience, of being taken to a mechanic.

expatscot said:
Rip-off merchant, or Puma friendly garage?

I know this is an easy job to do yourself, but a local garage better than the original one would be a good place to start if anything more serious needs fixing.

Back