Shock Absorber Advice - Standard or G-Max

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scz4

Evening all,

Quickly come to the conclusion that the 4 shock absorbers on the 1.7 Puma I'm doing up as a project are probably well past their best at 106K miles.

I've got a new set of Eibach springs coming this week. The question is, should I buy standard Sachs replacements from Euro car parts or get a set of G-Max shocks from Larkspeed? There is no difference in price, well not the fronts anyway.

I don't want a crashy ride, but the car is mainly just for blasting about in and will see the track now and again so performance does count. It's a second car, to keep the miles down on my other car. Already got ST150 brakes sitting in the garage. I'll do the bushes next winter.

Also, if I'm do build up the shocks and springs with all new parts, does anyone have a list of what else I need?

Thanks in advance.

Graeme

I'd get Sachs over G-crash G-Max.

:eek:k:

I suspected that may be the answer :) I wasn't sure if the crashy gmax reports were down to the springs or the shockers, I'll have Eibach springs.

Shame the standard Sachs rears are so expensive. Might just replace the two fronts with new Sachs and leave the rears for now, guess the fronts do most of the work taken the heavy front end load when cornering and braking.

Did you get the 30mm eibach springs? how much did you pay?

As for building up the shocks you'll need spring compressors and it would be a good idea to replace the rubber top mounts
on all 4 and the bearings on the tops of the front ones.

I got them from a forum member, £100 unopened.

Got spring comressors :) I'll have a look for top mounts and bearings.. Ford my best bet? Don't see anything on EurocarParts. Anyone got part numbers?

£100 bargain

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-PUMA-FRONT-TOP-STRUT-MOUNTING-BEARING-PAIR-/230673141298?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35b530ce32" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIESTA-KA-PUMA-REAR-TOP-SHOCK-SUSPENSION-MOUNT-MOUNTING-/250930842219?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a6ca4ca6b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just a couple of examples theres loads of others Puma top mounts on ebay

Would be worth ringing Eurocarparts and asking as well

Eurocarparts can't find anything past thier own computer system.

I've asked them many times for prices of parts, most of which they don't stock or can't find..

I'm running Eibach springs with KYB EXCEL-G shocks:
http://www.kyb-europe.com/shocks-excel-g.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Got mine from:
http://www.wanapart.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Front - 333943
Rear (bottom eye) - 341965
I paid £184.32 (delivered) for all four last February, prices increased since then.

Ride and handling are a bit subjective. These are my thoughts.

I first ran the Eibach springs with the original shocks (as the Puma had only done approx 9,000 miles). The ride was as comfortable, but more controlled with the Eibach.
At approx 11,500 miles, I had the Puma fully Powerflexed (including the rear front wishbone bushes). This was a mistake as far as I was concerned, as they gave a harsher/noisier ride and the rear wishbone Powerflex metal centres rusted and seized up.
My thoughts on Powerflex are that you obviously get a longer life, but some of the perceived "handling improvements" over standard bushes are because they normally replace worn out bushes, so of course they improve handling, but so would new standard bushes.
At approx 20,000 miles, I replaced the rear wishbone Powerflex bushes with Ford "FRP" bushes and rear beam Powerflex with FEBI Bilstein. At the same time, I replaced the wishbone ball joints and track rod ends. With these changes, I felt that the harsher/noisier ride was removed, but the handling remained the same/similar.
At approx 24,500 miles I fitted the KYB dampers, (and in addition had a full laser tracking reset). This reset is important as all the parts changed (and I did more than listed here, including all the top mounts), tended to throw a lot of the settings out, as you can see from the printouts here:

Before

After

The result was a firmer ride and better handling. The Puma has now done 29,000 miles and remains the same.

poly bushes will improve your handling even over new rubber ones, but it probably wouldnt be to any noticable level on the road

Yog - loving the print out! I always scoffed at my OH for getting his Clio Trophy laser-tracked but maybe he has a point!

Scuba - Proof!

what proof do you want lol? any reduction in flex will naturally lead to better handling, in fact some race and kit cars dont even use bushes, they are solid

thats like saying, prove to me that a turbo makes a car faster

Anyone got a set of 17s on a 35mm lowering spring set up want to know if it's possible to run it without rubbing the arches? Will also be putting 30mm spacers all round. Cheers

Back