ST170 Wheels

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zenithus

This post is basically due to a sheer lack of experience and understanding when it comes to wheels and tyres...

The ST170 wheels have arrived. I thought the tyres were going to 215/40/17, but they're actually 205/40/17... Will they fit without spacers? I don't know whether the tyre size affects the offset or not (I'm guessing not), which means I will need spacers, since I'm pretty sure they're ET50.

Apologies for my avid display of a lack of intelligence on this post :p

ask elvin; hes got these wheels on right now. dont think he used spacers tho

205/40/17 just means that the tyre is 205mm wide, and the profile is 40% of that. That's actually the correct size you need anyway. ;)
You're right in thinking that it doesn't affect the offset, have a look here: http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?t=4022" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; it explains what you need to know about aftermarket alloys.

They may fit (you probably already know this) but you have essentially reduced the track by 32mm.

Personally I find the Puma to be very sensitive to changes in offset, I wasn't happy at all with it running ET40's, was a bit more happy with it running ET25, but am now delighted with the car on ET35's.

Also, with ET50's the wheels will could well look a bit lost in the arches, from the end view at least. Below is mine running ET25's. looks much better!

07-03-2009010.jpg

St170 wheels are a bit big imo, i have got a spacer kit 10mm each side and I have added rear axle spacers as well.

I am thinking of changing wheels to ST24's 4 spoke alloys next after the tyre thread of the ST170's wear down.

I think the ST170 alloys are ET 49.5 and they will rub the inner arches and cut thought the inner arch guard. What I do to prevent rubbing is just do not use full lock, i limit myself to only 1 and 1/4 turns of the steering each side.

15mm spacer would cure it, along with 205/40's.

You should be ok with ST24 4 spokes and your front brakes, but you should be aware that you can't fit Mondeo 300mm calipers behind the 4 spokes, in case you were planning this in the future.

Well thats partly why I got some new wheels in the first place, because my 300mm calipers need to go behind them, which they should do just fine with the ST170 wheels.

I'll be getting the spacers soon, I'm going to get them properly refurb'd first so they'll look the part :)

I didn't think you could get 10mm hubcentric spacers? That was what I was after originally, but 15mm was the smallest I could find, in Eibach or H&R.

Just out of interest, where did you get them from?

Back