Strange starting problem now confusing me!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yippeekiay

Up North i.e. 100+ Miles Above Manchester!!!
I was just popping out to get some milk, when I started the car it went to start then stopped. I just thought I'd let go of the key too early and started it again but it wouldn't start.

At first it sounded like the pin in the starter wasn't engaging the flywheel as this happened on my last car and a new starter motor was needed. Anyway, to check this I put it in gear and tried again and the car moved no problem on the starter motor.

Now I started to get confused...the starter motor was working fine but the car wouldn't kick into life. Instead I was getting a weird noise from the engine as if everything was turning but there was no compression as if the valves were both staying open. i.e. no chugg chugging? sound from the piston compression like you normally get from the engine when starting it.

I checked to see if the new cambelt was ok and found it was turning the cams ok so I was totally flumoxed. Decided to try and bump the car and low and behold it hardly needed more than a walking pace to fire into life. When it fired I'm sure I heard a fairly loud cracking noise but my mate said he thought the car just skidded on a stone or something when I bumped it off.

Went round the block and as I was moving I switched it off and put it into neutral then tried starting it so that I could still bump it off if it didn't but it started with no problem. Put it back on the drive and tried starting it again and it kicked into life seemingly better than it normally does considering it used to be a bitch after a short run unless I give it a few seconds to prime itself.

Sorry for the long winded story but has anyone any ideas what this could have been as it's doing my head in thinking it may happen somewhere not so close to my house. I can't understand why the car can be moved on the starter motor but not fired into life out of gear but kicked into life with very little effort when bumped. If the starter had simply just spun without engaging then I'd know what was up but it seems there's no problem with it but possibly is with the engine itself. :?

perhaps your timing is wrong. you stated you checked the new cam belt? Is it possible the timing has been altered.

If you have a manual, then look at the warm/hot start procedure, Puma's do not like short runs, and can be hard to start if they do a short run.

Thanks but none of the above.

The timing is bang on. Been running for months with no problem.
Nothing to do with the hot start procedure. I cured that about a week after getting the car by waiting about 3 seconds before starting it. Never had problems for over a year now.

As an update, I went out this afternoon and give the oil a check amongst other things...all fine. Started her up...no problems at all infact it's starting much quicker than normal. Used to take 3 or 4 rotations of the starter motor to start (if you know what I mean), now it's firing after the first/second turn of the starter. Took it out for a quick spirited run hitting the rev limiter a few times once it was warmed up just to see if anything went BANG!!!. I don't know if it's me or a placebo effect but the bloody thing feels a lot more responsive and it was no slouch to start with.

This has really stretched my brain thinking what it could have been as I've never had the problem I had last night on any car before. Quickly fixed was good but not knowing what I fixed is worse....lol

failing ht lead, coil or plug perhaps?

Brand new ht leads, coil & plugs,

Dry as a bone too.

That's why it's a real head scratcher.

Went out this afternoon and by god it's noticeably perkier so something was wrong before but god knows what. Me & my mate now think it had something to do with the VCT as the kick in now when it changes is a lot more noticeable whereas before it wasn't. If it's possible, it's actually more fun to drive....lol

strange, my puma sometimes refuses to start, have to put my foot on the accelerator to get it to fire up, never had to bump start it tho,

i wouldnt worry about it to be honest, if its not done it again then its obvioulsy ok, even better if its mad it feel better than it was!!

Interesting thread this. I started mine after a long spell on the drive (under cover) to get a similar 'hahaa ha ha haaha' laughing coughing noise but no firing up. Could hear the fuel pump, starter motor etc but nothing, nada. (probably laughing "yeah right Im not moving")

I simply got out, locked the doors with the remote - reopened them with the remote and voila! He started!

They have personalities im sure! Glad your cars better than ever Yip x

Neil said:
That's the hot start procedure.

Aaaargh, nothing to do with it...lol (Ignore me if your responding to PumaJay's post Neil as that's probably correct :wink: )

That's why it's a head scratcher on mine though. I know what the hot start problem is and I cured that 15 months ago.

I'm going to give up finding a reason for it as it's obviously too hard to describe what the symptoms were for people to understand exactly. No matter, if it happens again I'll try and record the weirdness of it...lol

nippydee said:
Interesting thread this. I started mine after a long spell on the drive (under cover) to get a similar 'hahaa ha ha haaha' laughing coughing noise but no firing up. Could hear the fuel pump, starter motor etc but nothing, nada. (probably laughing "yeah right Im not moving")

I simply got out, locked the doors with the remote - reopened them with the remote and voila! He started!

They have personalities im sure! Glad your cars better than ever Yip x

I had no coughing either, that's what was so weird. It was if all the valves were open so the pistons were turning with no compression...totally weirdy weird weird weird...lol

Back