Tapping / clicking sound

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tekz said:
"The only other thing he said was the altinator was making a noise."
Might be that then...
I dont think so it sounds like its coming from under the where the spark plugs go.

so it's coming from the engine block you think? I would take it to a mechanic and get your engine assessed, check the injectors and what not, for peace of mind, any loss in power or other things?

tekz said:
so it's coming from the engine block you think? I would take it to a mechanic and get your engine assessed, check the injectors and what not, for peace of mind, any loss in power or other things?
Pretty sure yes. i dont have any loss in power the car runs fine qpart from the sound.

AdamD said:
tekz said:
Pretty sure yes. i dont have any loss in power the car runs fine qpart from the sound.
Is there anyone local to walsall willing to check out my car? Its really worrying me! I dont really have a mechanic i trust ive not lived here long :-(

Have you checked out the recommended garages section?
There is a list of garages that people have gone to and received good quality work.

Can not find the garage that is listed in your sig for willenhall, i drove there and unit 5 has a different company in it now.

Anyway i drove back to tamworth had 3 diff mechanics look at it and all three think altinator. There gonna whip the belt off tomorrow and start the car to see if noise goes.

Will post back tomorrow with update! I still dont think its altinator me and my mate think its under the cam cover.

Well they took the belt off but when taking the tensioner off they seen it had almost snapped at the back and apparently was only holding on by a few threads.

They now think this is the cause of the noise. They can't get a new one until Monday so i have no car all weekend.

What is this likely going to cost me?

Yea suppose, still got a few years left on cam belt!

Just hope that was the source of the noise and a new one wont cost too much.

Really annoyed, charged me 138 quid to change the tensioner and try diagnose the noise. 55 for tensioner 60 for labour rest vat!

They said the noise is a knackered water pump and want 215 to put a new one in.

Am i getting taken for a mug?

i think probably not... as i have a ticking sound at the moment on my puma and i know for sure i'm nursing a dodgy water pump at the moment :?

it's tends to be noisy when i back off the pedal and let the car 'coast'... not so noticable when giving it the beans..

:grin:

It just seems too expensive 215 to change a part that you can buy for 30-40 quid?

The Ford part is significantly more than that... also depends how many Pumas mechanic has worked on.. some think it's a full 'cambelt job' to do the waterpump as it's proper awkward to get to.... It is possible to change it without messing with the cam tensioner, but as i said...awkward!..

I'm sure there are a few people knocking around who could do it for less mind... :)

Chris

Well if anyone wants to do it for less give me a bell! It sounds like my pumas dying on me and its getting me down!

yeah perfectly possible to do without removing belt TIS doesnt even advise you to remove belt lol

im on a TIS rampage today btw

Back