The £650 Puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The black plastic dye turned up today, so I decided to have a go at the faded scuttle trim with it tonight. First I wiped the whole thing down with some white spirit, then applied the dye using a bit of sponge as evenly as possible. After this had dried a little, I used a small artists paint brush to get into the nook and crannies with the dye (a little painstaking with the number of vents). After this, I gave the larger surfaces another pass with the sponge. Let it all dry for 15 mins and buffed off the excess.

Job done (sorry for the rubbish picture)!

scuttle-trim-renovated_zpsb7388f49.jpg

Not perfect but for 45 mins work it's pretty damn good! I may give it another go over tomorrow depending on how it looks once it's all dried properly.

It's good stuff! It works even better on slightly porous plastics.

This is my old 205 with it's almost white bumpers when I got it;

Pug1.jpg

Here it is after they were dyed (and a lot of other work obviously!);

pug_photo_shoot_4.jpg

Keep seeing Ka's and wanting to give them a go over!

Scuttle, wipers etc reinstalled - I'd given the fixings a coat of Hammerite satin black before putting them on. Also added the wiper nut caps that Ian G supplied.

Scuttle_reinstalled_zps8369c6a4.jpg

I'm going to do the top front grill next to see how that comes up!

Cheers all!

The reason I like using dye is that the finished article doesn't end up all ultra-shiny. It's a nice uniform semi-matt as the plastic would have been out of the factory rather than cockpit shine silicone glitzy!

Getting ready for Jegger's makeover. Microfibres washed and dried:

Cloud2go%208%20Jan%202013%2023:46.jpg

Doesn't look like we'll be doing this any time soon. Weather's supposed to be gash for the next month at least. :?

Yeah, but to be fair, I don't think you'd be too impressed with Jegger's current state. The mould has reclaimed the interior and the battery is flat. I feel guilty.. :-(

I'm going to have to clean him up before you come to clean him up.

I wonder where the moisture is getting in... :(

Thought about getting some caravan dehumidifiers?

Same place as always, around the scuttle/windscreen area I guess. Also it's parked in the constant shade which doesn't help at all. Hoping I'll have the money to tax and insure this spring!

No news other than I'm getting itchy to drive something small and fun again. However, Subaru parts prices, tax, leaky boilers, expensive children and other first world problems make taxing Jegger seem like a distant dream at the moment.

I'm hoping to get some time over the Easter break to get cracking at finally replacing the shocks and fitting the Eibachs that are probably rusting down in the shed. Hopefully lots of new parts and some sunny days will help me throw caution and bank balance to the wind... :?

Back