Time to ditch the ABS?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benking

Finding the ABS is causing me more harm than good at the moment

Now the weather is turning bad, is it a good or bad idea??

Right i dont need a lecture i understand how it works etc, and obviously on slippy roads it will kick in

But it just kicks in too much, round abouts are becoming a small problem that im not sure if its getting worse. Now the weather is bad ive tamed my driving a bit, so its not a speed issue and brakes are newish. Tyres ok. Ive driven cars with ABS before and without, and personnally never noticed the difference untill now. Last winter wasnt an issue but for some reason it is now. The ABS just seems to kick in to much

benking said:
But it just kicks in too much, round abouts are becoming a small problem that im not sure if its getting worse.

As you approach the roundabout? On the roundabout I hope you're not braking enough to make the ABS work.

Or are you confusing the traction control with the ABS?

If the ABS is engaging on a roundabout when loosing grip (if you're driving aggressively and not the TC) then I suspect you have a problem with the system.

Do your tyres match? You could be having problems due to different amounts of wear around the car?

Any warning lights?

No lights, Same tyres

Its just totally random

Its difficult to explain

Right im not talking about aggresive braking, aggressive driving etc just normal day to day driving

When braking, the wheels seem to be locking up for not much reason. You know the feeling when you brake and the front judders, which is the ABS kicking in. Its that, but sort of it doesnt need to be doing that, like its detecting a problem that aint there, as no other car seems to be slidding about and im traveling at relitively the same speed

Im not talking about as soon as i put my foot on the pedle, just sort of before the need to lift of the brake to accelerate around a roundabout or coming to a stop

Basicly it feels like its doing it unnecesarilly, causing the front to slide as its locking the wheels up slightly

Its a wierd problem, think i might clean the sensors and go from there. I was just thinking half the cars on the road dont have ABS so im sure i could live without if i had to replace the system, just wanted some oppinions

Sounds like a system / ABS sensor problem.

Maybe try to test the sensors?

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?p=13870#p13870" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ill have a go at that first mate, didnt think about doing anything like that :eek:k:

Its just really concerning as the last thing anyone needs is for the wheels to lock up when braking on a busy slip road or roundabout :hide:

mine tried to kill me in the 'snow'! (light frost!!!). so i got rid of it....

(& if anyone doesnt agree with the following then shout at my advanced driving instructor (police response) and not me! but in this country we simply dont get snow icy / dodgy enough to need abs)

its the first car iv had with it, the most modern (and safest chassis) iv ever owned. iv driven through the alps, through all the horrible snow we had last year etc and just being delicate i couldnt fluster an frp on 225 fat boy (no grip in the snow) tyres....

and not once have i found myself heading towards a junction unable to brake / slow down because I can make the decision, not have the ABS 'think' i shouldnt be braking. very nearly had a horrible accident all because of the abs....

plus life is a lot more fun being able to wheelspin without the traction control being a massive nanny!

I know you have ditched it and still here to tell the tale, thats why im concidering it. Im getting the feeling mine is trying to kill me at the moment too :(

Agreed - ABS is less than useless in the snow, but for the 99% of the year it's not snow / ice, then it's invaluable IMO.

The TC side of it appeals too. Im wondering if i just removed the ABS fuses for a bit, will kill the ABS and TC for a bit so i can form my own oppinion rather than having to go to the effort of removing it for now??

ABS is terrible in the snow, as i found out last year lol

02022009210.jpg

Trying hard to avoid that again!!! Plus my confidence in winter driving (snow and ice) has tottally dissapeared :(

Jacko - whats it like on the TC side of things??

Back