Tux's Track Toy Project

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tux

So I picked up a 1999 1.7 16V today to create a track day toy. It has cosmetic problems but it was cheap and the engine runs like a dream despite its 144000 miles. I was actually surprised how well it drives so I'm a happy bunny.
It failed the MOT last week on rear brake shoes being nadgered, a couple of ball joints, rear wheel bearings and a bulb. I reckon less than £100 would see an MOT on it, but the plan is to upgrade some stuff instead of replace with standard. I reckon the MK1 focus rear disc upgrade is in order as this will take care of the wheel bearings and brake shoes in one fell swoop. I've already spotted all the bits needed for £175 delivered, is this a good/bad/indifferent price?
I also plan on the Mondeo 300mm disc upgrade at the front.
I suspect this will take quite a while to finish as a project, partly due to time and partly due to cash, so the usual excuses! :lol:
Anyhoo, enough waffle, have some pictures of the patient. Apologies for the PP photography, there isn't much room in the garage at the moment with both the Puma and the trailer in there!

L14-03.jpg

L14-02.jpg

L14-06.jpg

How long since you saw a rear arch this clean? :cool:
L14-08.jpg

Managed to partially rip the bumper off getting it off the trailer. :roll:
L14-05.jpg

L14-10.jpg

Ohh another track project :)

Looking forward to seeing how you get on. I'll try and help with anything if you need help.

You'll need bigger wheels I think if you do the mondeo brake upgrade.

Thanks Reechard, I suspect there will be plenty of dumb questions before I'm done. Got my eye on a set of EsCos style 16" Mondeo wheels at the moment for not a lot of cash. Dontcha just love eBay! :cool:

So, I started stripping this afternoon. Got all the interior out of the back and was surprised how easily it came out. Very straightforward. Then made a start with stripping the sound deadening off which again, surprised me with how easily it came off. Much easier than it came out of my Porsche last time I did it. A gentle warm with a heat gun and it scraped away cleanly in large strips. Result! Cleaning off the residue is easy too with a rag and a splash of white spirit.

Completely unexciting pic from while I was working:

PICT0003.jpg

So now its time for the first (of many no doubt!) dumb question. Can anyone tell me what this is in the pic below? Its behind the offside rear "door" card. I suspect its a horn/sounder for the alarm? Just want to identify it before I go ahead and chop it out and smeg things up!

PICT0004.jpg

Last time I saw a sounder in a position like that it was for rear reversing sensors on a numberplate surround fixing.

What ever it is, its gone now. :lol: As is 90% of the sound deadening and all interior except the front door cards and the headliner.

Rip the headlining out, roof looks cool without it :)

Door cards weigh a fair bit too. Im hopefully making some fibreglass ones at work soon, so will be offering them at cost if your interested, once I have them perfected.

Have you removed the sound deadening from behind the rear door cards?

What other plans, extras you got for the car?

Headliner and door cards will go as well, just ran out of playtime yesterday. All the deadening from the pedals back has now gone, the rest will follow as I get time. Could well be up for some of those door cards, I was looking at options yesterday and not really getting anywhere as I don't have the space to work on FG at the minute.
Other plans include 300mm Mondeo discs and calipers at the front, Mk1 Focus discs to the rear and some stiffer suspension. Not sure what suspension to go with at the moment so suggestions are welcome. It will be a dedicated track car, probably won't even bother with an MOT as I have a trailer, so no compromise s on the suspension. Naturally polybushes all round. Are there any uprated ARBs available
Hopefully that should see that it stops and goes round corners properly so after that save up agaion and see about some FRP cams/Map/decent exhausts/intake mods etc. Depends on time and money as always.

Have you got rid of your rear wiper and motor that will shed a bit of fat, i made good the hole it left and took the chance of smoothing out the ford badge at the same time.

im not bothering with an MOT either just need to sort out a trailer.

Yep, rear wiper has gone too. Going to start on the front end next I think. Aircon is going as is the ABS and airbags. Don't want ABS on track and the airbags will serve no purpose with 5 or 6 point harnesses. Not sure what else I can find to throw away from under the bonnet, suspect it might be best to keep the engine! :lol:
Might look at relocating the battery to the back area to help even out the weight distribution a touch, every little helps afterall.

yea the battery is a good idea, im gonna move mine just so i can do a better job with the induction kit, also to put a big intake pipe in. :grin:

I know or have heard that the puma has low end traction control, i aint had mine out in the wet yet so cant prove it, im wondering if this is a fuse that can be pulled or can it be disabled? :?

I think its written into the map, you can possibly have the frp map put on instead though, depends on your ecu.
This also raises the rev limiter to 7200rpm.

Battery relocation is good, as said will help put less weight over the front and balance the car more.

As I understand it there are two different ECUs? The earlier TAPE and the later MUFF? You can gaurantee that mine will have the wrong one! :lol:

Latest posts

Back