What a difference........

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colechelle

A new set of engine mounts make.

My cheapy puma is slowly getting a rebuild week by week, today I had a slack hour so I thought I would fit the new mounts I bought of a certain site, brand new ford mounts, £100 for all three,

What a easy job!! All 3 done in less than ah hour and that was with a tea break, car now is smooth and no humming through the car which has been there since I have owned it,

Got looking into a air-con fault it had as well, looking at the compressor while running, it was cutting in and out every 10 seconds, put the air con machine on it to find only 280 of gas in the system, looking at the data sheet, should have had 1000 in it, vac out and refilled,

My run home tonight of 30 mile was a beaut, freezing cold and smooth as silk, even had to turn the aircon off at one point.....

New clutch and gearbox next job...........

mmmm...you got a link to the mounts buddy. My engine or gearbox or god knows what started to vibrate last year after hitting a speed bump very hard. Thought I'd buggered something really bad but it's been ok ever since except for the vibration - got used to it now to a point that it just feels like it was always like that. Sure my mounts must be shot but by looking at them they look perfectly fine.

Cheers :eek:k:

These were from a private seller who had bought them from fords then for some reason sold the car or it got smashed up or something!!!

This vibration you have, does it kick in around 50mph, feels like the gearbox is trying to exit the car????

If so, this is the reason I am changing so many parts one by one to try to lose this vibration?????

The new mounts have not dulled the vibration at all, but saying that, has made normal driving smoother, until the magic 50mph!!!!!!!

Ps, my mounts all looked good as well, until I put them next to each other, 3/4 inch lower the old ones........

Mine vibrates all the time but in varying degrees - well from what I can remember. As I said I have got used to it now so would only know it was fixed if it was suddenly smooth again or vice versa if it got worse.

I know on mine I found that it's most noticeable point was when I held the revs at around 1000rpm on tickover. That's why I knew something was amiss as it never used to vibrate at all.

Have you checked the gearbox mount hasn't dropped from it's rubber now touching metal to metal???

Im inadvertantly posting some pics tonight (to go alongside steves) of the gearbox mounts on my project thread, as I had to rummage around under the battery tray last night to sort my gearbox leak, which just turned out to be a copiously overfilled gearbox peeing itself out of the breather when I drove it hard!

Glad you sorted that Slayllian, did point to an overfilled box :eek:k:

Thanks Steve, will take a look when I have chance. I'd seen some weird long bracket under the car in the general location you say but I have no idea if it's ok or not.

Just had a quick look at your pictures Steve, is it the engine roll resistor bracket?...that's the one I remember and was thinking that could be the only one that would cause my slight vibration.

Ack...not exactly under the battery tray that one....lol. Will look again....lol.

Ah...spotted it :eek:k:

Back