a how to guide to removeing the speedo

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1 screw hidden behind the left most blanking panel right next to the air vent. I think its a triangle shape. Then I think you remove 2/3 screws from around the speedometer/rev counter. Give it a wiggle and it should pull out (if my memory serves me correctly).

Watch out for the wires on the back. Think the main one has a lift to release style clip on it...

danielz000 said:
1 screw hidden behind the left most blanking panel right next to the air vent. I think its a triangle shape. Then I think you remove 2/3 screws from around the speedometer/rev counter. Give it a wiggle and it should pull out (if my memory serves me correctly).

Watch out for the wires on the back. Think the main one has a lift to release style clip on it...
I managed to get this far, but can't seem to get the speedo out. Tried wiggling it a little, it came forward a bit but not all the way out. Felt around the back of it and could feel the wires and a long rod (?) of some sorts. Does something need to be unplugged before the speedo comes out?

Speedos not going back in either....seems ilke its caught on something. Help!

There are 3 connections to the back of the speedo from memory, 2 plug in connectors and the speedo cable. You need to lever the unit forwards, then pull the white collar of the speedo cable towards the instrument panel to disconnect it. Then the unit will pull forwards and you will have enough room to disconnect the two multiplugs.

You might have to pull the speedo cable through the bulkhead a little to allow enough space to work. (don't place the speedo on its front when removed).

you will need to remove the plastic colums shrouds and pull the hazard switch out to get enough room even then its very tight. Easiest is to pull the glass front off first them remove the rest after disconnecting the electrics

^ agreed, forgot to mention the steering wheel shroud as I had the steering column out already. I had enough play on mine to work behind, but I did have to pull the cable a little more through the bulkhead and it is still tight. You could always try the Haynes method and disconnect the cable from the other end? but why get dirty when you dont have to? :lol:

Latest posts

Back