Blurple Beast (formerly aka Black Chance)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F2eeman

No longer is it a game of puma roulette ... Now only the Blurple Beast remains.... Read further down.

I thought I'd start this thread as a car diary to start with, possible "project" in a few months time. So here is my rant... I'm sure after the first post, posts will get significantly shorter :D

RANT COMMENCE! :twisted:

Having owned a blurple puma a few months back, then swapping to a cougar, I decided I much prefer pumas! (and after owning 5 cougars thats saying something!)
Well I'd been searching for a puma for only a couple of days after selling my Cougar, when I came across a local £295 1.7 black scrappy saver. Asked what was wrong with it and owner said "Nothing, just needs a battery as it's been stood since Feb." Brill, I think, its worth a look so popped over with my mechanic friend....

2001 multi spoke wheels = Good.... Leather interior = Good.... MOT until Feb = Good ....Paintwork = Bad.... Rusty bits = Average... No number plates? = Bad

Asked what the deal with the number plates were, apparently was on a private plate they'd just taken off and were waiting for the old number plate cert to come through along with amended MOT cert etc = Bad.

Mechanic friend pops on some jump leads (to the cars, smart ass) Alarms going off, people scrambling for fobs... the fob didn't work, into the door the key went and it stopped. Starts up after a few seconds and sounds quite the rough, rev needle is all over the place! ABS and TC lights. Took it for a quick roll down the road and back, bang bang bang from the back end.. Sounded like calipers were ceased or something. Rolled it back to their house, said thanks but no thanks and walked away.

Came home and there had been a new puma put on auto trader whilst I was out, again only down the road. Went and had a look, dragged mechanic friend with me. 1999 1.7 Lovely shiny red, really good condition inside and out (apart from obligatory poorly arches). Just had a service ran really well, gear stick was a bit sloppy but I could live with that, tracking seemed out a tad, again nothing couldn't sort easily... So put down a deposit, as was told couldn't have it for a week.

A very slow week dragged by and the collection day came. I had a text that morning from the owner of the black puma, asking if I was interested in the puma at a reduced price.... I got thinking, perhaps if cheap enough I could at least have the alloys and the leather interior to swap into my car, then sell it on or break it and recoup some of the money! Also apparently the new reg cert had come though etc etc... Anyway in the end I managed to haggle it down to £200 including them getting the new plates made up which I thought for a leather interior, alloys with half decent tyres and any other bits I wanted then scrapped/broken for at least £100 isnt bad at all. So told them I'd be down later that evening.

Roped my mechanic friend in again to take me to get the Red Puma, get back to mine, borrow the battery from it, hot foot it to the black puma... Anyway I get there, had to fit the plates myself (she was an inexperienced lady by the looks) got the battery on, and started to drive her home... The banging slowly disappeared, the engine settled down nicely and actually drove really well, slightly better than the red one (mind the black one has 35k miles less on the clock) although the clutch was slipping a quite a bit, the heaters were stuck on hot, abs/tc lights still present, radio kept going off and on randomly, brakes were juddery and..... there was a horrid smell of scented candle air freshner.

Get home, and have a relax after all the money that had just left my account and got thinking... This little black puma... 81k miles on the clock, is going to be taken off the road forever, after spending the last half a year sat doing nothing, sad way to go... So the next morning I decide to give it a really good wash (it hadn't been washed for months) and wow, there was quite a bit of sparkle under all that dirt, got the MOP out and did the bonnet with some AG paint renovator... And it got to a liveable standard pretty quickly... This got me thinking.... Should I take the chance on the little black puma? I mean theres nothing wrong with the red one but... its already...'done' and I love fixing things!

Sooooo I'v decided to keep the black puma!! And sell the red one for at least what I bought it for (will be in the for sale section next week!... *Shameless Plug*) and use the proceeds to soften the blow on what the black one will cost me, if not cover it all.

Yesterday, I went to the local eurocarparts and bought it a battery of its very own (got annoying having to swap batteries just to move it about) a clutch kit and a new cylinder, got my mechanic friend coming to help me fit it tomorrow on the drive, lucky him! (I'm an 'emerging' mechanic ha) also bought it a gift of smoked side repeaters off ebay :)

Today, I was bored so went back to eurocarparts and got, fuel filter, oil filter, pollen filter, air filter, oil, , spark plugs, front discs, pads, HCV and various shift it sprays. Tackled it all by myself, first time I'v done a full service on my todd and it wasn't too bad at all ha. Only part I'v struggled with is the damn side repeaters, stuck solid... looks like an arch liner out jobby. But overall a productive day! Still the ABS problem to sort out, fit new radio, give a full MOP (I'm still learning about detailing so may come out worse!) get alloys sorted and then full sportex system, 300mm brake conversion, gas shocks and springs (that hopefully actually lower the car as I want it for looks more than anything and it seems some lowering springs do not lower very well) K&N Panel or Cone filter, possibly some nice 16" alloys, subtle boot spoiler, maybe fast road cams and a remap, but ultimately I want a 180-200bhp turbo conversion (PumaNoob will bully me until I do, I think ha) but I doubt that will be until next year.

If you've managed to get this far without skipping the odd paragraph, fair play! I'v fallen asleep twice writing this :lol:

And now for the piccies!

It's been a busy couple of days on the puma front.... Sunday morning arrived and my mechanic friend came to fit the clutch, was going to change the lower arms while we were at it, but there was a few rounded/rustest bolts and it was just too much hassle after tackling the clutch on a drive way so will save that for another day.... Also got my lad involved in the "cool car stuff" .... "Hey son, heres a job for ya!"

You gotta love child labour! ... Cost me a chocolate bar which I already bought him :D muhahaha.

Shiny new cylinder! :cool:

Anyway, black cats front end still dangling in the air we had to stop for the day, later that night the Mrs and I had a craving for one of them Mocha Frappes from maccies (We are fat people, trapped in averagely sized peoples bodies) ... It was 11:30pm but naturally it had to be done... Jumped in the red puma (which I'm using whilst 'Chance' is undergoing surgery) got half way down the road... something doesn't feel good, one of rear tyres was completely flat... :cry: .... Get it back on the drive, get the lil halfrauds special air compressor on the go and it took about 5minutes to get it to 30psi.... accompanied by a hissing sound the whole way through. You could literally see it going down... bad news. So I thought to myself... Chances front wheels are off, I'll just grab one of those and stick it on until tomorrow. Feeling smug with myself, for once in my life making sure they had the locking key for the wheels when buying a car, I go into the fusebox cubby and grab it.... WHAT?!.... The key just kept slipping off the nut, either the nut was fudged or the key was, either way not fun news as the frappe craving started to make me itch. Abandoned the attempt and stole my mothers Reanult Grand Scenic 1.5DCi made sure the nights effort was not completely wasted...

Next morning, got the tyre pumped up to 30psi and strolled down to the local tyre place, only just round the corner and just as well really. Got there and told them they might need to drill a nut off... Guy runs off, comes back with the exact same locking key as mine! What are the chances!! I asked if I could buy it off him, he said no :( ... But he managed to fix my locking key as apparently the head had somehow travelled up the barrel so wasn't sitting deep enough in the nut so he bashed it with a hammer and bingo ....( ok, that sounded less sexual when I typed it) And here is the offending little %$&%^&$.....

I think this is the most suitable piece of metal I have ever seen for popping cars tyres..... Just about managed to get the puncture repaired as the gash it left was so big.

On the subject of wheels and tyres, Chance's multi crazy spoke split rimmy alloys were way way horribly baked in red rusty black tary paint stuff.... Tried baking soda, washing up liquid everything to hand with a toothbrush but nothing... Ended up popping to local motor factors and getting some wonderwheels... WOW! 30mins later of getting my Mrs to scrub them until her hands bled finally did the trick! (Thanks Bryony :p )

Today I decided to finish off putting Chance back together much to my mechanic friends protest (he was at work and unable to restrain me or otherwise) Only one driveshaft, ball joints popping back in, new discs and pads putting on and wheels and it was good to go! Took it a quick spin and clutch was good, brakes were much better. Bit of a knock from up from somewhere, thinking its ARB bushes, and also some bad hesitation when putting foot down on idle or low revs... was like this from the drive back home when I first got her but now much more noticeable with the clutch not slipping. I'm thinking leads or coil pack, either way I'm out of money now so it will just have to wait until I'v sold the red one unfortunately.

Me and the Mrs decided to throw a quick bucket of water over her as she has been abused and manhandled with greasyness the past few days and this is how she stands now with her MOPped bonnet and wing, wonder wheels and I also managed to fit the smoked side repeaters... I love how the black, contrasts with the black :lol:

Hi Alex how you doing!, good to see you over here, couple of nice projects you have there :thumbs:

you got the side repeaters off yet? drill two small holes and drive a couple of screws in to twist 'em out!

Alright mate! (didn't catch your name on the forum!) Small world!

The red one is going up for sale this week, can't afford to keep two and the black one I got cheap, so fixing it up for something to do :D

I managed to get at the side repeaters through the arches whilst doing the clutch so jobs a gooden!

You got a puma project?

as per sig pic mate got the Silver Cougar and a Silver Puma, love 'em both!! although the Puma is technically the wife's car!!

mine's here, not done much to her yet apart from some tidying and badly needed maintenance, you'll recognise Alan's badges!
http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=22401" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

really like them in red btw it's the best colour by far I think.

Steve

slayllian said:
love black pumas imho black edition is best!

I do love the leather interior but the black paint shows every little mark! The wheels are also a nightmare to keep clean but I do love the black :)

spjmorris said:
as per sig pic mate got the Silver Cougar and a Silver Puma, love 'em both!! although the Puma is technically the wife's car!!

mine's here, not done much to her yet apart from some tidying and badly needed maintenance, you'll recognise Alan's badges!
http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=22401" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

really like them in red btw it's the best colour by far I think.

Steve

I think performance wise there's not much between the cougar and puma you know..Yours looks tidy mate, yea I noticed alans badges have to get me some of those!

Yesterday I spent time fault finding this hesitation under load problem, started by swapping over the plugs from Red puma (Bosch super plus) even though I'd just put in brand new NGK's into Chance thought would be best checked incase of gap differences. Problem persisted.... Checked all was air tight, cleaned the MAF even put some super unleaded in to no avail. Friend suggested it could be the leads starting to break down, couldn't swap them from the red one as the leads were different fitments, so went and got some leads... problem was still there.

Next up I thought I'd swap the coil packs over, but someone had rounded off two of the screws holding it into the black one. I removed the coilpack from the red on and managed to fit it loose onto the black with old one still in place... and hey presto! Hesitation was gone! Got my friend to get me a coilpack trade price and come and remove the two screws later that evening! Jobs a gooden!

The red puma is a '99 and Chance is a 2001... So am I right in guessing that the torque limiter is higher on the later models? As it certainly feels it in 1st and 2nd. I'm thinking a remap will fix this in due course :D

Brilliant read, I've saved a puma from that final drive myself and I'm just starting on it, trying to learn how to do bodywork at the moment to fix the rust in the door shuts and it's been rubbed down, sprayed, buggered up (the paint went all crinkly) rubbed down again, reprimed and fettled with for the last week :). Got some plans and had plenty of inspiration from here. Looking at the job you did on the bonnet I'd say you got the hang of the Mopping :)

Best of Luck

Jim

Right then..... *Rolls up sleeves* *Snuggles ar$e into seat* *Typing fingers on*

THEY'RE GONE....

Shortly after this all manor of craziness happened in my life and unfortunately both had to go at short notice. Never the less, new job with company car, accompanied by replenished car bargaining skills (Now work for WeWantAnyCar!) I've managed to negotiate me a new little project car that I pick up on Thursday, again a bit of work needs doing but the body work is tidy hardly any arch rust, I can swap anything else out it needs but I do not like touching bodywork. It's a 1998 S reg 1.7 Blurple edition ha (like the first puma I loved so much). It needs an MOT so thats first on this list. But this time, I can afford to take my time somewhat (negating patience) to get this car where I want it to be. But plan is the same as before... eventually budget Turbo conversion. I've already got my 99p ebay intercooler and just received my £28 manifold with T25 turbo plate (may need adjustment). So I'm half way there! (I wish). Its going to be MOT, wheels/brakes/suspension/bling bits then engine time! (Probably pick up a lower mileage engine for the conversion) I'll try and stick some pics up when I get her and let you know how she gets on for the MOT.

Can't wait to get stuck in again, these are indeed exciting times :D

Fair play getting another Puma :thumbs: Good luck with your plans. I hate planning as I always seem disappoint myself :lol:

trueblue said:
Fair play getting another Puma :thumbs: Good luck with your plans. I hate planning as I always seem disappoint myself :lol:

very true.... blue! :D ha... Well plans are made to be broken. But saying that, I'm sure it will turn out roughly the same as I hope... then again knowing me I'd spend months creating a beast, turn round to look after I'd finished and see a fiat multipla look alike starring back at me :/

F2eeman said:
I'm sure it will turn out roughly the same as I hope... then again knowing me I'd spend months creating a beast, turn round to look after I'd finished and see a fiat multipla look alike starring back at me :/

Nothing is as ugly as a Fiat Multipla.. trust me.. and I work for Fiat :lol:

Good luck with the new project and keep us up to date :thumbs:

Well, this is not for ladies now :oops: and I apologise in advance

A friend of mine compared multipla to a public house (you know what I am reffering to): 'you feel very nice while you're inside, but when you leave and appear on a street, you turn around in embarassment to check if anyone has seen you leaving through the door..' :oops: :evil: :cool:

A friend of mine compared multipla to a public house (you know what I am reffering to): 'you feel very nice while you're inside, but when you leave and appear on a street, you turn around in embarassment to check if anyone has seen you leaving through the door..' :oops: :evil: :cool:[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Working for who I work for I have the pleasure/misfortune of test driving upwards of 5 random cars a day, from bentleys.... to multiplas... I skipped the test drive on the multipla as it is the one car on earth I refuse to be seen in. Yes, they've won awards and are great for people in need of certain access features etc. But my god.... Fiat had to tie £50 notes to the steering wheel to get reviewer to have a play in it.....

I digress, The puma I was supposed to be collecting on Thusday.... I checked the HPI today and ... MEHHH... Cat C write off 2011, Vic check 2012. (all whilst in the current owners car, unmentioned in the ad or in our lengthy conversations) Hasn't put me off buying the car, but I've reviewed my offer and the owner is yet to get back to me. So may be a no go!

Back