Clutch

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benking

Clutch is kinda never been right since i swapped the engine. Now i couldgo to the lengths of checking it but IMO its pointless. So i think im going to buy a new clutch

Whats my options beside a standard 1.7 one???

focus 1.8 has more surface area compared to a puma one, may last a bit longer/take a bit more abuse :)

Not really bothered about the life of it, because by the time its ruined id of sold / scrapped the car. What other advantages are there???

err, err, pass :D

just go for whichever one you can get cheapest, not really looked into it but I'd imagine the 1.8 Focus was more common than the 1.7 Puma so the comsumables for the focus may be more readily available/cheaper????

I have the Focus 1.8 clutch, not impressed. Had it in for 12k, mostly quite gentle / motorway, and yet thought I felt it slipping a couple of weeks ago. Will be swapping for a Fiesta ST clutch at some point.

After Trying all of the above and one or two more i'd recommend sticking with the standard 1.7 item made by Luk...

it's got a reasonably good pedal feel and is correctly rated for the job...

Iv'e got the Valeo Focus one in at the moment and it's like treading on dog shit!... the cover plate assembly is rated for LESS power than the puma and has extremely weak fingers making the pedal feel extremely soft and light....

The 220mm Fiesta ST one would be the perfect solution, but until someone actually fits one, there's still an air of uncertanty as to whether it does fit or not... The St item is rated for MUCH more torque and has a progressive finger displacment alignment on the cover plate so not all fingers are taken up straight away when pressing the pedal giving a nicer feel....

I'm going to have to make do with mine now till next season...grrr...

The Helix option is quite a good one.... the ones they make for the IB5 now are no way as springy as the one i had in mine which was VERY hard going for the frst year or two.... i had it in there for years before finally getting tired of it's stiffness....

Neil has got it now, don't know as yet whether he's fitted it...??

Regards

Chris

I can only assume the standard one is smaller so therefore the cheepest. I cant justify buying parts that i dont gain from much as they will probably outlive the car. Going on that can anyone see a reason to not go for a standard one or is it worth that little bitmore??

el dude said:
After Trying all of the above and one or two more i'd recommend sticking with the standard 1.7 item made by Luk...

it's got a reasonably good pedal feel and is correctly rated for the job...

Iv'e got the Valeo Focus one in at the moment and it's like treading on dog shit!... the cover plate assembly is rated for LESS power than the puma and has extremely weak fingers making the pedal feel extremely soft and light....

The 220mm Fiesta ST one would be the perfect solution, but until someone actually fits one, there's still an air of uncertanty as to whether it does fit or not... The St item is rated for MUCH more torque and has a progressive finger displacment alignment on the cover plate so not all fingers are taken up straight away when pressing the pedal giving a nicer feel....

I'm going to have to make do with mine now till next season...grrr...

The Helix option is quite a good one.... the ones they make for the IB5 now are no way as springy as the one i had in mine which was VERY hard going for the frst year or two.... i had it in there for years before finally getting tired of it's stiffness....

Neil has got it now, don't know as yet whether he's fitted it...??

Regards

Chris

Still not fitted yet, it's a project for next year now!

if you want more from your clutch / last longer / slightly lighter pedal get a focus 220mm one. £140 a lot tougher and will last & as said its actually a lot nicer to live with...see my gearbox guide

the helix etc are very hard to press down & just not worth it when theres a far better 'standard' replacement.

i love my all out balls to the wall AP clutches but havent felt the need since fitting the focus 220mm...its that nice.

if you just want a standard one you might find that a tougher cheap focus clutch works out better value for money than throwing a crappy no name puma one in

Mod edit: Differences of opinion are good, but please try and keep personal differences out of posts.

Jacko, as mentioned above, I am unimpressed with my Focus one, don't drive particuarly hard (I have averaged 36mpg over the past 10m, recently closer to 41mpg, so I can't!) yet I still got some major slippage pulling from a layby onto the A1 a few weeks ago. Plus it is perhaps a bit too light?

Fiesta ST one for me next, there is a guy who has done it, think it is Nismo Mark on PumaPeople. I seem to recall that MattyMaxx on zsoc has also got one fitted.

On a related note, if the release bearing was replaced last year, then that should still be ok, right?

I would love a lighter one, the standard one hurst my foot if im in traffic for any length of time, but then again im ong 93k with no signs of slippage. Just rattle when idling though.

Perfect timing seeing as my clutch has finally given out on Sunday, just outside Portsmouth....

I knew it was slipping/going and had been nursing it gently - however someone else drove it to Portsmouth on Sunday and either its time had finally come, or they weren't able to nurse it quite as well.

So Puma currently off road sitting at friends garage.

Is there likely to be a huge difference in cost between the two - such as the Focus 220mm one and the standard Puma?

to be honest though, will most likely just go with standard Puma one.

focus one shouldnt slip....iv got a quaife diff and 8inch eagle f1s and can quite happily spin both wheels. think your having issues with balancing the traction control locking the brakes tho, iv ditched mine. brakes are always going to be stronger than the clutch so you will always have slip if your trying to pull off too hard esp on corners

focus 220mm clutch is the toughest you can get and more than up to it. far nicer than a paddle clutch & i reckon its as strong

Latest posts

Back