Opinions please...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robyorks

Looking for a new motor for the bread knife. She wants one of those little babies shoe things. You know, the super cheap road tax jobbies?

I'm currently trying to convince (bully) her into a Fiesta and came across this:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201702152347861?onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&sort=price-asc&year-to=2011&price-from=1500&year-from=2007&radius=80&model=FIESTA&make=FORD&price-to=3500&postcode=wf58ex&advertising-location=at_cars&page=25

I was drawn to it because of the mileage but I think I prefer the newer shape. Problem with those is that they all either seem to be Cat C or D, or have a bajillion miles on them.

Advice more than welcome!

Rob.

That engine Fiesta won't be on the sub £100 road tax I doubt, the car itself looks clean enough and the MOT history looks good so far without lists and lists of advisories.

You can't go far wrong with a 1.25 engine Fiesta for a small run around, my experience is with a 2000 version but other than consumables and a bit of rust it was a very reliable car.

I suppose really it depends whether you can live with that shape or not, I personally like it but when I was looking for a run around for the wife I was looking at the similar age KA in the newer shape. (Didn't buy anything in the end as it turned out)

We have a newer shape Fiesta but has the 1.25 engine. All I can say is it's Brilliant, very nippy around town and feels good to drive. Havent driven the older ones however they always used to get good reviews. Like above I have seen newer shape KA's for similar money but they just don't have the character of the older ones and I prefer the Fiesta as an overall package. No such thing as a bad car these days. That shape Fiesta looks Sharpe and solid, I think it's one of the best looking cars Ford have done. I'd look for a Five door though as more sellable and convenient.

Seems fairly strong money for a mk6, they're not impossible to find with sensible miles so its certainly not a one-off.

I had an older model with the 1.25 zetec, brilliant engine, we had a 1.3 at the same time (it was brand new the 1.25 was a year old) the zetec was faster, more refined and so much nicer to drive.
Currently my inlaw has a Mk 6 but sadly with the 1.4 which is no where near as good an engine.
Nice looking motors and with the zetec 1.25, nippy, pull really well, and 40/50 mpg as well, 2 or 4 door? really depends on how much you need access to the back seat, personally I prefer the 2 door look.
Never go wrong with a Fiesta though, still one of the best small hatches around

I tried to post earlier but had no internet

The mk6 is only cheap tax in the 1.4tdci its good but suffers with dual mass, injector seals and really annoyingly the b post trims have pritt stick for glue and come off or vibrate at speed and do your head in! My dad has a fusion and it's been great apart from 2 sets of injector seals and a dmf all with 149k from new on an 03 plate £30 a year to tax too

The mk7 fiesta came out in 2008 and depending on what mileage your after there a better lookin car

I also totally agree with the 1.25 zetec being a brilliant engine over the 1.3 endura or 1.4 zetec

+1 for the Mk7 Fiesta although it will be more money.

I helped my sister in law find a 2009 1.25 Fiesta Zetec (I think it's technically 1.242) last summer to replace her weedy Toyota Yaris 1L. It drives really well and I do prefer the sleek styling.

Having said that she has always had her eye on my Puma, but that one is mine forever :)

Dipsticks also snap off into the sump and the diesel feed pipe that runs over the rocker cover rubs open on the TDCI. Common faults on all are fan resistors +possibly control panels (fortunately no fire like shitty Vauxhalls). seat catches and early mk6 Fezzers are missing a 30p spring washer off the clutch pedal which can result in it coming off the clevis pin leaving you stranded with no clutch. Front springs break and are an absolute git to replace.
Thankfully no HCV, though.
Barry

Thanks for your input everyone. I did rather prefer the mk7 to be honest but now she has seen a, dare I say it, SKODA!

Help me out here guys, it's orange and everything!

Rob.

tuonokid said:
[post]360849[/post] Dipsticks also snap off into the sump and the diesel feed pipe that runs over the rocker cover rubs open on the TDCI. Common faults on all are fan resistors +possibly control panels (fortunately no fire like shitty Vauxhalls). seat catches and early mk6 Fezzers are missing a 30p spring washer off the clutch pedal which can result in it coming off the clevis pin leaving you stranded with no clutch. Front springs break and are an absolute git to replace.

Thankfully no HCV, though.
Barry

All of those have happened to my dad's car I'd completely forgotten about them!

Just ask her if she likes the planet as the nazis' that build skodas cheat emissions.... they also employ 5 year olds and kill kittens and puppies daily...

Skoda!!! so VW then....well put together, well equipped, not bad to drive....ignore the emission cheaty thing as chances are it will come out sometime that others do the same....but ORANGE.

Oh hang on my car is yellow.....go for it

Did I mention we are talking about a woman who only judges a car by it's colour?

Here's the offending article...
http://www.thetradecaroutletossett.co.uk/used-cars/skoda-fabia-1-2-htp-12v-2-5dr-ossett-201702222567193

I know people that swear by those little Fabia. Personally I have no experience and would stick to Ford.

Thats not orange!! thats the same colour as my C-Max.
Nice looking car but the one you really want is the cream one alongside it....tell her it would be an investment :grin:

Also love the pictures of the head and rear lights, not the first selling point I would have thought of

Yeah, I noticed that too Zinc. Not too sure how it would cope with daily trips to Barnsley and the stables, wellies and whatnot in the boot :lol:
Re the pictures, the front end and also the dash are just begging to be 'blinged up' The pic of the front end just makes it look boring...
Gonna take it (Fabio) for a test drive tomorrow, I REALLY hope she doesn't like it!

Robyorks said:
[post]360865[/post] Did I mention we are talking about a woman who only judges a car by it's colour?

Here's the offending article...
http://www.thetradecaroutletossett.co.uk/used-cars/skoda-fabia-1-2-htp-12v-2-5dr-ossett-201702222567193

Show he the fiesta in several colours then

Well, the good news is the Skoda was shite.

Test drove a Suzuki Swift and a Fiesta Zetec. Fiesta won out of the two but wasn't as quick as I would have hoped. I am now on the hunt for one that hasn't been to the moon and back and that's cheap. Wish me luck ;)

Rob.

Hi Rob
The fiesta isn't quick anyway as it put on weight from the MK4/5 which was a nippy car but it is quite a nice drive.
Barry

Back