Steel Blue track car project

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Final update for now is from my first proper track day! :grin:

I had an open pit lane day at Bedford Autodrome GT Circuit. I went with a couple of friends who were driving a Porsche Cayman S and a 3.0 Z4. I was a little disheartened when I arrived at the circuit to find no less than 6 Ariel Atoms and more Caterhams than I could count! The aim of the day was trying to find something we could keep up with to have a bit of fun and trying to keep out of everyone else's way ... especially as I didn't know the track!

I had a 20 minute tuition session with the onsite racing driver, which helped a lot with lines and braking points and we had a fantastic day. By the end, the tyres were looking pretty borderline and the car had taken a fair bit of abuse, especially because my brother and I were taking it turns to drive it, so the car didn't get too much rest over the day. I also had a 2 hour drive each way to get to and from the circuit, but the car didn't miss a beat and felt great. The Wilwood brakes were especially impressive, pulling up strong and not fading through the course of the day. I am really pleased I had the coilovers fitted before doing the track day, as it felt so much better than before. We set the coilovers much stiffer for the track, 3 notches off of the hardest setting on the back and a little softer on the front (as advised by the racing driver). There are 30 different settings in total for stiffness on the Gaz coilovers. The difference from mid-setting to near-hardest was huge! It really tightened it up. I was pleased with how the car went but, as per my post above, I am looking for a way to adjust camber now so I can get it lower without compromising the handling.

Here are a few photos:

Next outing ... FORD FAIR!! :cool:

I've booked 2 novice track sessions, the first one and the last one of the day. My brother is driving the first, with me as passenger, and I'm driving the second with my other brother as passenger! Going to get the Playstation out to learn the circuit! :lol:

Hope to meet some of you there. If any of you see my car in the pit lane come and say hello. I will try to stop by the club stand at some point in the day too.

Thanks guys.

Good point there Audio84!! I hadn't noticed that! Ha ha.

Scott134 said:
Next outing ... FORD FAIR!! :cool:

I've booked 2 novice track sessions, the first one and the last one of the day. My brother is driving the first, with me as passenger, and I'm driving the second with my other brother as passenger! Going to get the Playstation out to learn the circuit! :lol:

Hope to meet some of you there. If any of you see my car in the pit lane come and say hello. I will try to stop by the club stand at some point in the day too.

im out in the 10am session and hopefully will be booking one for later in the day

:eek:k: Thanks mate. It's coming on.

Hoping to do a bit of stripping this weekend (not personally!) ready for Ford Fair!

I would love to, as Brands is a track I'd really like to drive and it's probably my most local circuit. But 13 November is a Tuesday and I can really only do weekends. Any remaining holiday is already accounted for until the end of the year!! :roll:
If there are any Puma track meets on a weekend though I'd be up for that!

The Puma got a good clean and polish today ready for Ford Fair tomorrow and I couldn't resist taking a couple of photos, so here they are ...

And I had to get a quick caliper shot ...

:D Cheers. Looking forward to taking the camera to Ford Fair. I usually spend most of the day behind the lens!

Bit of both. I do charge for photography work but have non-photography related full-time job, so I guess I'm classed as semi-professional. Been doing that about 3-4 years now. It was just a hobby before that. I used to photograph for my local motor club, then charity events and for the last 18 months or so I've moved to shooting weddings. I don't really do much now, as I don't get the time but it's still a hobby I love.

Belatedly adding a few photos from Ford Fair to keep the thread up to date ... more recent updates to follow shortly.

The car got two track outings at Silverstone for Ford Fair. Unfortunately, I wasn't driving due to a licence expiry issue! So my brother took both sessions and I passengered for one and photographed for the other. A great day out but I'm looking forward to the next proper track day to get some driving experience in.

Latest posts

Back