Strange knocking noise... Ideas please!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At least you know that particular driveshaft/joint won't give problems for some time though :cool:

Well, it's mostly sorted out the knocking, but not completely. She's got to go back to the garage for another reason, and I'll get them to have a more thorough look over her then. I'm guessing that they just really checked the driveshaft as I was pretty certain that's what the problem was when I first went to see them.

Well, she's been to the garage, and I've got her back...

The bad news is that it is the diff. :(

Sorry to hear thsi Cherie :(

>>BIG HUG<<
Hope shes sorted out very soon...

That's a bit of a swine when they said it was the driveshaft, fitted a new one for you and now says it's the diff!! I'm guessing from that, that it was the diff all along and the new drivshaft had numbed the sound a bit.

Any chance of any re-imbursement regarding the cost of fitting the driveshaft due to the mis-diagnosis if this was the case???

It seems unfair to ask you to pay for something then find it wasn't that in the first place. I'm guessing their answer would be that it needed replacing anyway whether it did or not.

No Yip, the driveshaft did need doing. When you can pull the shaft completely out of the joint and have it wiggling around inside the casing, it's knackered. It was me and Dal who found out the driveshaft needed replacing before I took it to the garage anyway, not them telling me it needed replacing.

It's probably the extra stress from the driveshaft going that's caused the problems with the diff. It's too much of a coincidence that both need doing without one having an effect on the other.

yikes....wiggling around does not sound good. I can see that certainly wouldn't help.

Just a thought that I'd hate to see you get ripped off but as you say you knew it was buggered so all good...well, good in a sense that you weren't ripped off. :eek:k:

Right, update time.

I had the N/S wheel, bearing, driveshaft (was knackered), and now the gearbox (and so the diff) all changed, but the bloody noise is still there.
It's not something stupid like a loose wheel nut, as both wheels have been off and on again a few times now. Brakes are all fine.

It could be the O/S bearing or driveshaft, but they appear fine on inspection.

So it seems like I could have either bought and changed the gearbox for nothing, or I've been REALLY unlucky and bought one with exactly the same problem (which is unlikely).

£760 poorer, and no nearer to solving it. So suggestions welcome.

It seems to be a bad month or two for problems with pumas at the moment. :(

I thought you said there was a bit of play in the O/S driveshaft as well? Could it be that? Just trying to bounce ideas.

I can imagine how frustrating this is, my Puma has a few little noises, most of which I've just learned to live with as they aren't causing any major problems.

At least if it wasn't the gearbox or diff you've got a spare one lying around that could be used as a spare or sold.

Solution found.

I'll let Cherie report...

Right. Er...

Well as Dal says we've found the problem. Just wish we'd had the sense to try it to start with, but then if we had, we might not have found the driveshaft was knackered... anyways... the problem? The driver's side tyre was the problem! <_<

It stems, we think, from when the shocks were knackered, and the tyres were taking the bulk of the punishment from bad road surfaces, and worn unevenly. Changed the wheel over for yet another spare, and the problem has gone!

So, the old, original, perfectly fine gearbox will be going back on at some point (probably when I get an MOT & new exhaust in about June!) and I'll have a spare gearbox if anyone wants it then! <_< :lol:

I hope it's permanently solved it anyway, but early indications are good. :D

It was really annoying as everyone that has driven the car could swear it was the passenger side area, not the drivers side.

You live and learn.

On the downside, my banger now needs a front wheel bearing - gone in sympathy with it's fellow poorly puma I reckon.

Christ, after all that hassle, it was a tyre. I should have known this as it's happened before on one of my cars but hindsight is useless here.
Glad it's diagnosed now and sorted.

I think I need wheel bearings at the front. Noticed on my 500 mile trek at the weekend that when I went round a left hand bend I got a faint...errmm...how do you put it in words...vvv...vvv...vvv...sound. I'm thinking it's the drivers side bearing but as shown above it could as easily be the passenger side so I think replacing both is the sensible solution as I always replace everything in pairs should something go.

EDIT:- Forgot to ask, anyone have an idea of the rough cost of the bearings. I'm sure I could replace them myself but a rough fitting cost would be appreciated as I find I'm getting lazy as I age...lol

Bearings fitted is £60 at our local garage.

Latest posts

Back