The BEAST begins !

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ones cotton (K&N) and the Pipercross is foam.

I'll sort you out with a local ""Friendly"" garage fella.

Would love to hear ya black beauty come roaring past.

You win the lottery like anyway ??

Student loan mate, got stuff all else to spend it on so I thought I might as well treat the car.

Sound investment for the Nurburgring as well :D

So you went from Pipercross foam cone to panel? I have the ind kit on mine, so you noticed a difference going from that to panel then? Weird cos I didnt notice difference going from panel (standard) to the kit.

I'd say 99% of all the fuss about filters is BS, never seen any proof that they actually do any good apart from a different sound, after all, they are really only there to filter any dirt from getting to your engine and the engine will get more than enough air than it needs no matter what you use. People think that if they use a different filter they will get more air but as I say, it's getting more than it needs already and a filter won't 'force' more air into it. Apart from getting a straight air feed to the filter then the throttle, the only real way I can see in getting more air into the engine is to force the bugger in and the best way to do that is with a Turbo - not a cheap option so why would a simple filter for c£30 give a power increase.....imo, placebo, placebo, placebo!!...and BS!!

You can always try and get colder air into the engine by shielding the air supply from the engine or using a cooling system as roughly every 10 degrees F equates to 1 Hp loss or gain.

Spot on IMO ^^^

I 'think' it feels quicker 'cause it sounds quicker.

Yeah, ok.....

I agree, dont think it makes any difference, but I bought it knowing that aswell. i just wanted the noise lol. I'll see how it fares in warmer weather, heard loads about heat soak etc but some say thats just BS-wait and see I guess, can easily put panel back on and tell insurance company its now standard and get a tiny amount back perhaps.
Then I'd have to make the roaring noise myself though as I drive! ha

Went for the panel filter due to the cone option sounding better and doing little more than the panel, but Paper V's Foam, i'll take the foam anyday. Itis only slightly quicker on my usual 0 -60 run on the slip road to work.

Next is the Mani and de-cat, what would be a good replacement for the current cat other than Milltek ?! Ideas, suggestions welcome.

yippeekiay said:
they are really only there to filter any dirt from getting to your engine and the engine will get more than enough air than it needs no matter what you use. People think that if they use a different filter they will get more air but as I say, it's getting more than it needs already and a filter won't 'force' more air into it.

Whilst I agree there are a lot of BS "power gain claims" out there, obviously due to the crowded marketplace, there is hard proof that different types of airfilter setups and specifications do affect the engine's performance.

The way I try to visualise it all, is this:

Standard OE panel airfilter: Imagine your sat inside a car, windows shut, trying to breathe with a thick sock over your mouth.

Aftermarket panel airfilter: Imagine your sat inside a car, windows shut, trying to breathe with a thin sock over your mouth.

Aftermarket open cone airfilter: Imagine your sat inside a car, windows open but the heaters are on now, trying to breathe... you'll inhale hot air when the car ain't moving, but much colder air when it's shifting along at speed.

Aftermarket sealed cone airfilter with airfeed (eg-viper): Imagine your sat inside a car, windows open but the heaters are still on, with your head out of the window all the time... you'll get cold air rammed down your throat at speed when you open your mouth (throttle). The heat inside the car will not affect you nearly as much because you're inhaling cold air.

Yes, an engine will only accept a certain volume of air, due to it's capacity, but with airfilters we're not trying to increase that, what we're doing is increasing airflow (breathability), ensuring that there is minimal restriction to getting this air into the engine, and also dealing with air temperatures.

I was talking about the filter in a similar situation. The filter choice isn't going to make any noticeable difference imo. The fact that you expose it to more air i.e. stick your head out of the window' then that will make a difference...but to all filters without a noticeable difference between them. Plus the speed at which you need to possibly make a difference isn't suitable for most of the time you will be driving.

I'll agree to disagree on this one. :wall:

bucky said:
Next is the Mani and de-cat, what would be a good replacement for the current cat other than Milltek ?! Ideas, suggestions welcome.

You after raspy or deep below? Obviously, Milltek full system is very raspy. If you want deeper sound then look at Piper, or try mixing them for a more unique sound. Like.... Piper 421, Milltek sports cat/decat then whatever cat back.

Check these out:

Full Piper (deep sound)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHgut98uBXQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Full Milltek (Raspier):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGvqmgh5uOI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mixed (Milltek & Piper)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pma8mNfdeLY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps!

Latest posts

Back