The Skippy Kitten

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh ok. thanks. I'll take her in to work tomorrow with the box plugged in. Will there be stored DTCs if there is a problem?

Skippy said:
Oh ok. thanks. I'll take her in to work tomorrow with the box plugged in. Will there be stored DTCs if there is a problem?
You could pull off the DTC codes now, if you wanted, as the errors from this problem will already be stored.

When an error crops up the first time it is recorded as a DTC code, but with 'Pending' (?) before it, just in case it's a one-off spurious result. If that same error happens again after an interval then the code stays the same, but prefixed with 'Error' (I'm doing this from memory) so that's a confirmed error and those are the indicators to the actual problem.

One code points to one error, but a few can either be pointing to a number of problems or all pointing to the same one (and often eliminating other possibilities)

Then - you fix the problem. Clear the DTC codes and go for a run and see if you've sorted the problem by getting no codes coming up.

The Torque app and probably most scanners also have a 'live mode' that give realtime driving results (which can be recorded) of various sensors (MAF airflow, bhp, revs, temps, etc, etc, etc) but that is another side completely and not needed here.

So - you just need to plug in your scanner (now?), turn ignition on and press your equivalent of 'Get Error Codes' on the scanner/reader, write down results and you're done.

Went for a quick spin... No DTCs. And not really any evidence of hesitancy. I could only make it happen by lifting off then stomping on the throttle, like a ****. It was fine when I drove more sensibly. I can only assume that ice got used to the diesel bus's low end torque and wasn't using enough revs to pull away. Really sorry to waste your time folks. :oops:

In other news, the oil changed finally got round to doing (hence my drive looking for problems yesterday) has perked her up no end! :)

TLC today. Foam, two bucket wash then tried Gyeon Wetcoat.

IMG_6635.JPG

I really should have updated this sooner.

The last MOT was ok.... Apart from all the things wrong. Decided to get it sorted and that was great (new front shocks and springs :) ). However the next time I drove it the temperature gauge started going right up. Thankfully I spotted it and was able to stop before it went critical. Coolant well down. He garage had told me to keep an eye on it, but I didn't expect it to go that soon! It was a slow dribble so I could get it home 10 miles.

That was before Xmas, so I. Didn't have time to sort it until today. So with the help of a mate we set about checking the thermostat housing (garage said it was likely source of leak). I had new Ford stat and housing to fit as needed.

Following the guide on here we got to it and the housing had failed exactly like a picture of one on here! All replaced now, with a minimum of swearing. Just need to replace the coolant tomorrow and play clear the airlock.

I think I'll be moving her on before the next MOT, but I'm hoping I can have a few fun miles before that. :)

Skippy said:
[post]345412[/post]I think I'll be moving her on before the next MOT, but I'm hoping I can have a few fun miles before that. :)

Now, you see, I spent the first three years of ownership thinking the same thing, but then Spring rolls around, you get some good drives and everything is working great and you think "Well, maybe one more year"... :wink:

Welcome back! :thumbs:

I just had a comedy thermostat housing issue too.

evilrob said:
[post]345417[/post] Welcome back! :thumbs: I just had a comedy thermostat housing issue too.
Thanks. I'm not sure comedy is the word I would use for working on a Puma thermostat!

I replaced mine as a precaution when I changed the thermostat and radiator and the one I took off was actually ok. It certainly didn't look like it had ever been replaced. Does seem to be a really common issue though.

Skippy said:
[post]345422[/post] 2 identical failures suggests it's is quite likely.
Exactly why I changed it - not worth the risk considering how little the part costs and I've seen more than a few people posting about them failing! What a faff it is to get to thought!

This looks like something I should be replacing next year so thanks for the heads up guys. How much is the housing from Ford?
Barry

Back