ULEZ Compliant?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YOG

For those who believed (like me!) that a Puma with a NOx (g/km or g/kWh) of 0.083 on their V5c did not meet the ULEZ requirement!

A member on Ford Puma Owners Group questioned why their application was rejected.
Transport for London only work to 2 decimal places and have now accepted the argument and registered the car as compliant.

Details are over on Facebook.

Last edited:
So our older polluting cars are no such thing! Do we get out of the extra 'old vehicle ' congestion charge as well? Apologies but can't get into Facebook today!

There is a lot of information regarding ULEZ on the Ford Puma Owners Group, including how to get in touch with Ford to obtain a COC certificate for some of the cars that show no NOX reading on the V5c.

Can anyone provide any further details about how to apply for exemption please, for those of us not on Facebook? Or how to contact Rich Chanter direct? Can't find anything about TfL only working to 2 decimal places for NOx. I still have my original CoC (owned the car from new) - it shows NOx 0.083.

Regards.

Hi Den,

I've not done this although I've just had a read through, he applied through the normal process, had to send EEC certificate with photo of V5 to TfL via [email protected]. Initially got rejected at 0.083.

I assume (a source isn't mentioned) that he challenged it based off of the TfL listing the requirement as 0.08 and not 0.080 since for the Diesel they list 3 places.

1687512912536.png

This was the reply he sent to the rejection:

1687513042118.png

Seems after this, TFL then replied saying it did meet the emission requirements.

Thanks all for saying to keep my puma, I really don't want to get rid of it, just ulez. I sent blank email
[email protected]. I received reply saying
To request a CoC, the following information is required:
The 17 digit VIN
A copy of the vehicle V5c. Once I receive, I then contact transport for London.
So I will be doing this as log book part blank. I bought my son a green puma, y reg, and his is ulez compliant, yet its 1.7. Was looking at buying audi TT, but to be honest, if I get out of paying ulez, I'd rather spend on my puma. It's great to find others who feel the same about their puma. Will update when I get answer re ulez.

Reactions: red
Thanks to everyone who has commented in this and other threads.
I was so close to scrapping the Millenium I inherited from my dad this summer, right after paying out almost £3K to the guy who renovated it (requested before he died).
Today I searched for a way to make it compliant and found these posts.

I got the COC from Ford just now, and IT IS COMPLIANT. NOx of only 0.033 and CO of 0.533

I am now utterly disgusted at the way the cars have been automatically assumed not to be compliant and drivers will mostly not know any better.
I'm not entirely opposed to ULEZ per se, even though I live about 1km inside the boundary and will pretty much only ever drive "outward" from here, so it is a pretty steep fee just to do that. But clearly the broad-brush approach is unfair in so many ways.
Now I will have to apply for exemption and wait for it to resolve.

It sounds like the ULEZ compliancy is done based on specific emision values. Does this also apply to CAZ compliancy (like for example CAZ Class D in Bristol). From what i can see, they are classified around the Euro 4 rating for petrol cars (like the ULEZ), but does anyone know if it's possible to request a compliancy for non Euro 4 cars that meet Euro 4 limits, as seems to be the case for the ULEZ?

It sounds like the ULEZ compliancy is done based on specific emision values. Does this also apply to CAZ compliancy (like for example CAZ Class D in Bristol). From what i can see, they are classified around the Euro 4 rating for petrol cars (like the ULEZ), but does anyone know if it's possible to request a compliancy for non Euro 4 cars that meet Euro 4 limits, as seems to be the case for the ULEZ?
I got a reply from TfL today, saying that I needed to send the V5G as well as the CoC before they would assess my exemption. So I've now sent that. But they also suggested I change the registration with DVSA as they said they simply take their assessment normally. It too me a while to find anything pertinent on DVSA website but eventually I found this:

https://vehiclecheck.drive-clean-air-zone.service.gov.uk/vehicle_checkers/enter_details
Once you enter your details, it tells you your status against each city's scheme (My Millenium complies with 5 out of 8).
But importantly, it also tells you how to submit evidence to change the registration record for your car if you think it meets Euro 4 (as per this thread). You have to email them with details, much like ULEZ.
I've not tried it yet as I prefer to get ULEZ sorted first, but I will do soon. And it looks like I should expect a good outcome as far as I can see.

I used that link (thanks, wasn't aware of it).

I must be living under a rock as I had no idea there were so many zones, including one close to me.
Luckily my cars are ok in all zones - despite me barely using them it's nice to know, for now I guess until they clamp down even more in the name of the environment (we all know it's motivated more by money!!)

they also suggested I change the registration with DVSA as they said they simply take their assessment normally. It too me a while to find anything pertinent on DVSA website but eventually I found this:

https://vehiclecheck.drive-clean-air-zone.service.gov.uk/vehicle_checkers/enter_details
Once you enter your details, it tells you your status against each city's scheme (My Millenium complies with 5 out of 8).
But importantly, it also tells you how to submit evidence to change the registration record for your car if you think it meets Euro 4 (as per this thread). You have to email them with details, much like ULEZ.
I've not tried it yet as I prefer to get ULEZ sorted first, but I will do soon. And it looks like I should expect a good outcome as far as I can see.
Amazing, I had used the checker but didn't spot the link further down which leads you ultimately to an online application to submit evidence for the CAZ requirements. Thanks so much for pointing it out.

For me, I'm very unlikely (but not totally) ever to travel into London, but it's quite possible I will need to travel into Bristol.

Once I get my headed signed coc through the post I will submit my application and let you know how I get on. Luckily mine is the .033 NOX level.

Everyone should be compliant with six of the zones as only class D (Bristol and Birmingham) has a charge on non Euro 4 + petrol private cars. Bristol is especially a pain due to one stretch of road along the portway and out the Cumberland basin.

ClassVehicle type
A - Buses, coaches, taxis, private hire vehicles
B - Buses, coaches, taxis, private hire vehicles, heavy goods vehicles
C - Buses, coaches, taxis, private hire vehicles, heavy goods vehicles, vans, minibuses
D - Buses, coaches, taxis, private hire vehicles, heavy goods vehicles, vans, minibuses, cars, the local authority has the option to include motorcycles

That was easy...

Thank you for your enquiry received on 22/09/2023. Your case reference number is xxxxxxxx.

Thank you for providing us with the evidence required.

I am pleased to confirm that the Vehicle Compliance Checker (VCC) has now been updated to show a 'No Charge' result.

Please note, it can take up to 5 working days to update. Please check back on the Clean Air Zone Vehicle Checker before your next journey into the zone.

DVSA is clearly more capable than TfL.
Still waiting for an update from TfL, a week after I sent the V5C too.
Meanwhile, I applied to DVSA with basically the same mistake (doh!) of just sending the CoC (since I presumed they have the V5C record :)). They replied next day with request for V5C. Submitted that and got the result within an hour or so.
In theory, this should fix ULEZ too, as TfL told me it would, but DVSA says ULES is completely separate. We'll see I guess.

Dear Mr XXXXX

Thank you for your enquiry received on 26/09/2023. Your case reference number is XXXXXXXX.

Thank you for providing us with the evidence required.

I am pleased to confirm that the Vehicle Compliance Checker (VCC) has now been updated to show a 'No Charge' result.

Please note, it can take up to 5 working days to update. Please check back on the Clean Air Zone Vehicle Checker before your next journey into the zone.

I trust this is of assistance to you.

Latest posts

Back