Bloody Hyundai!!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zenithus

Thought I'd post my trials and tribulations on here, I want sympathy!! :)

The Coupe has always had its fair share of problems, but these latest ones are ridiculous, and are, in fairness, not the car's fault.

The clutch had been slipping for a while, and I finally decided to get it tested, just to make sure it was at fault and it wasn't just me, and I knew that Mr. Clutch conducted free clutch tests. They tested it, and confirmed it was slipping, lo and behold. Turns out they had a clutch for my car in stock (I was quite surprised at this, the clutch for my car was ONLY manufactured for the V6 Coupes, and there aren't that many about), so I decided to book the car in and get it sorted for about £330.

Halfway through the job, the mechanic phones up and tells me the flywheel was knackered too, as the centre boss had gone. He hasn't realised that my car HAD a dual-mass flywheel, otherwise he would've recommended to get it replaced from the start. I told him to order the part in and he said it would be in and fitted for Monday.

On Monday lunchtime, I got another phone call. Great, I thought, car sorted, finally. No. The mechanic had taken the car for a test drive after fitting the new clutch and gearbox, driven it round Tesco's car park, and the gearbox had gone BANG. I went down to the branch and he showed me, the casing had cracked and the transmission oil was full of metal bits, the gearbox was completely ruined.

He immediately said that he would send it off to see if it could be repaired, but said it might need to be replaced and he couldn't get a cost at the minute. I explained to him that I wasn't willing to pay for the gearbox because HE was driving it, and I have never heard of the gearbox of an 8-year old 65,000 fully serviced car going like that before. He said his gearbox department had said there was a problem with the gearboxes on these models, something else I'd never heard of. I told him I was going to seek legal advice and left.

Anyway, through a lot of phoning and arguing, Mr Clutch's head office agreed to said the gearbox off for investigation at their cost to determine if they were liable, and I'm still awaiting the results! For the past week I've been driving Matthew's Puma instead... What a bloody nightmare!!!

If they swing in my favour and fit a new gearbox, fine, I'll pay for the clutch and flywheel and just never use them again. BUT, if they claim wear and tear, I'll fight it a bit longer, and if I lose, I'll get a trusted mechanic to fit a second-hand gearbox and sell the car soon afterwards, because let's face it, I'll never be happy with it after that.

Lesson: never buy a Hyundai Coupe, or at least don't buy mine! I should've stuck with my little black Puma...

you should try to seek some independent advice, rather than relying upon their gearbox department.

Hope apart from the car, things are good for you!

:( sorry to hear this mate,stick by your guns tho and get what you can out of them,sounds like he didnt know what he was doing in the first place,some idiots out there who rather pass the buck and not take responsibilty for there workmanship :twisted:

Think you need a consult from a Hyundai main dealer also, too establish any known weakness in the box.

plenty of puma's about for sale! or get a
ST.gif

stick to your guns mate! Fight the Fcukers!

you have my number if you need help lol ;)

Should have made them send it to an independent assessor or whatever. If the person who inspects it has a financial interest they are goint to lean to it not being their fault.

My experience of Hyundai's mechanicals in the past have been that they are bullet proof but that may have changed over the years.

Hope you get it sorted.

Cheers for all the comments guys! They must realise I'm not going to accept that it was wear and tear, even if they say so. Like Yip says, they have a financial interest to see it not being their fault. If they find it IS wear and tear, I'll have the gearbox shipped back to me and send it off somewhere else for another inspection. I'm not letting this lie until they fit a new gearbox!!

In 30 years of been in the motor trade i have done a lot of cock ups from mister clutch, they bust the side of the gearbox casing trying to get the drive shafts out, take them on test drive oil pisses out bang, ring the customer you need a new box. if you can go and and take pics of the box when they take it out. you will see were the fracture is. If you persue it you will get a new gearbox and claim for expenses ie car hire. you should get away with only paying for the dual mass and clutch. And tell them you are informing the trading standards department they will crap themselves as they have a lot of complaints against them.

Paul

A good garage is normally a busy garage and doesn't normally have time to test drive cars after they have worked on them it's deffo their fault as the car is in their hands.... Keep threatening them with trading standards

eh, thats daft, part of the job is to test your work...

Would you like me to come fit a gas pipe, then not test it for leaks at your house?

Must be garages I go to then but ive never had to wait for someone to test drive it before I can drive it away

Ps..I'm an air con engineer so know about strength and pressure testing..lol

Perform a recognised tightness test! (pressure)

I think it depends on what the garage does, as to whether it needs a test drive or not.

spike. said:
Perform a recognised tightness test! (pressure)

I think it depends on what the garage does, as to whether it needs a test drive or not.
Little of topic but what bar do u test at?

1 min at 10mb to test for main valve let by
raise pressure to 20mb
allow to temperature stabilise for 1min
then readjust to 20mb, for 2min.

spike. said:
eh, thats daft, part of the job is to test your work...

Would you like me to come fit a gas pipe, then not test it for leaks at your house?

unless you want to goto prison and get struck off the gas fitters register,some people dont realise that some jobs you do have to test your work,its like putting in a central heating system and not filling it up and chaecking boiler gas burner pressures etc lol...

Back