The Skippy Kitten

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trim out. Hydrate 80 on (practical alchemy!!). Dynax tomorrow, and maybe some photos.

Not as bad in there as I feared. I think if I've not stopped the rot, I've at least limited the amount of damage I need to worry about for a couple of years.... Fingers crossed.

BigAl said:
Looking lovely jubbly mate! :grin:
thanks!
Alchemy done. Left in garage for today. Will refit trim as I get time this week. Broke one fastener and lost a clip during removal. Grrrr

[pics added]

Before - rusty!
IMG_0282.JPG

Just after 2 coats of Hydrate applied
IMG_0288.JPG

Next morning
IMG_0293.JPG

After the Dynax S50
IMG_0294.JPG

Smell has mostly cleared now, with the help of a magic tree... I emptied the whole can down the sills, over the rear arches and round the back, so I'm hoping it'll arrest the rust. I'm going to leave the arches themselves for a few weeks. I think I'm going to go and drive it about instead!

Smell gone. Another 100ml of water extracted too. Trim refitted. I managed to forget to put the seat back in first, like an idiot.

A little progress this weekend. New rear bushes fitted to my mate's Ka. New rocker gasket fitted to the Puma and MAF sensor cleaned while I had the bonnet up. I may have imagined it, but the throttle did seem a little more perky afterwards. I ran the engine for a few minutes to move the oil around. I've got card underneath to detect any further oil leakage so fingers crossed!

Update: MAF Cleaning does seem to have pepped her up a bit!! No signs of oil leak after a 20 minute run with right foot activated. However, I've learnt that carb cleaner and headlight plastic doesn't combine well. At least I know what to do now to fix it.

Plans for Easter.

Clean up engine bay and check for oil leak.
Quick wash and seal if the weather allows.
Track down play in steering at centred (track rod ends?)
Drive!

Quick wash of the Honda and Puma. Then the rain began before I could finish the job or do the engine bay. Grrrr. Back in the garage slightly soggy, but dehumidifier in and on, just in case.

In other news, no signs of oil coming out (patches or smell). Play isn't as much as I'd allowed myself to imagine so there's a few quid not to spend. Went for a blast in the warm and she was great. Time to get it booked in to sort the hole and brake pipes.

Spruced up the engine bay, partly to see how to do it and partly to help track any remaining oil leak
IMG_0335.JPG

Cleaned underneath too, so should help oil hunting. I need to get underneath at some point to check that there's still grease where there should be.

:p I'll take that as a compliment.

I didn't give it the works, just sprayed on Surfex HD diluted 1:4, rinsed off and repeated. Then got an old microfibre and brush to go for the visible bits left. Another rinse and then 303 aerospace protectant on the hoses. Top cover off to inspect the spark plug well. Just water, so dried it and put a little GT85 in to make sure. Ran it for 5 minutes to dry off. Job done.

Back from car hospital. Welding looks good. Not so sure about the braided hose routing, but the brakes work a lot better. It may just be the effect of a bleed, but I'm happy.

I've been wondering that is it hard to look if gearbox needs more oil. What would you say? Where it can be looked? Also, is it easy to top it up?

I followed guides on here and elsewhere. A pit would have been handy, but you can see the plug easily enough. I have a slopw oil leak from the gearbox which wants sorting at some point.

Okay thanks. I'll need to look if my gearbox is leaking because there was some oil leak under the engine but I haven't checked what it is :D

Latest posts

Back