Vpower / MPG discussion

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shimmyhill said:
:eek:

I am only getting 230/240 miles until the light comes on. I do tend to do lots of short trips and work is only 10/12 miles away (depending on route) I dont thrash the car so why am i getting so much less out of a tank ??

Regular short journeys will eat into your MPG for definite, but 10/12 miles for your work commute should be fine.

There are a few other factors that can affect your mpg, bad supermarket fuel, tyre pressures etc. If your car has been serviced regularly and has had new spark plugs and filters recently, then I would start looking to things like your lambda (also called hego, or O2) sensor.

Just to add my 2 pen'north worth to this thread.

I had my ECU updated by Tremona in Southampton, so that i could use up to 99RON petrol, even though my 1.7 was standard then, economy improved.

After my full Milltek exhaust etc was fitted the car still returned good economy, and like a tw*t i continued to run it on Supermarket unleaded, eventually causing the cat converter to partially block up = ECU light on every 3 months or so, after a long run.

Now Kat runs on Vpower and goes like the proverbial off of a shovel, tried BP Ultimate and throtle response was dulled = no kick in the back, not going near supermarket fuel again, except in an emergency to get me to a petrol station.

Also Tremona recommended Wynns injector cleaner over Redex, Nikasil problems were on early Puma engines, built in Valencia, problem seemed to be resolved, when engine production went back to Cologne.

Most i had from a tank on supermarket fuel was 317 miles, Basimgstoke-Tavistock, 164 miles, on half a tank.
Will see if Vpower improves on this and i'll keep you posted.

Regarding my miles per tank !

I did the hold in dash button thing to check for error codes etc - i did this literally after i had brimmed the tank - the mileage range said 233 !!! Any ideas ??

I had DTC error 0115 and 9138, could either be causing the mpg issues ?

Shimmyhill said:

I did the hold in dash button thing to check for error codes etc - i did this literally after i had brimmed the tank - the mileage range said 233 !!! Any ideas ??

You'd need to drive for a bit to let the computer know how you're driving so it can work out the range I'd have thought.

From : http://www.projectpuma.com/viewforum.php?f=107" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

P0115 Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit Malfunction

Not sure about 9138

Scotty1.7 said:
How do ya get it it to do the mpg on the screen? mine just resets the trip

In the "How to" section funnily enough:

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dal said:
Shimmyhill said:

You'd need to drive for a bit to let the computer know how you're driving so it can work out the range I'd have thought.

From : http://www.projectpuma.com/viewforum.php?f=107" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

P0115 Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit Malfunction

Not sure about 9138

Any idea what the 0115 actually means ? The coolant gauge starts off cold and gradually goes up to about half way, in line with the heaters blowing hot air etc !?

230 odd is the mileage i have had from last 2 tanks, is it worth resetting the ecu to see if this helps - if so can this be done via a fuse or do i need to take the leads of battery ?

Best guess would be your oxygen (HEGO) if your mpg is poor. Or the MAF.

That reading of 233 is how much fuel you have in your tank with no scale to it. IIRC last time I checked mine it said 235 after I filled it up, when it was bone dry it said 028. I got over 400 miles to that tank so it's got bugger all to do with how many miles you have done, have left, is in your tank or up your arse...lol

yippeekiay said:
That reading of 233 is how much fuel you have in your tank with no scale to it. IIRC last time I checked mine it said 235 after I filled it up, when it was bone dry it said 028. I got over 400 miles to that tank so it's got bugger all to do with how many miles you have done, have left, is in your tank or up your arse...lol

Ok cheers !

Maybe i will fit a new Hego and see if that helps !

Just to drag an old topic up, I saw this on youtube the other day.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8L-X89duEs[/youtube]

The crux of it is, according to their test Vpower gave 5hp or so more than the worst fuel tested (Asda). They seemed dissapointed by this but 5hp seemed like a lot to me.

My 1st choice for the Puma with a Standard 1.7 is Shell regular unleaded. I have found that both the throttle response and mpg are better than other fuels. However on a modified engine or including a FRP , then there will be an advantage in using V power , but none on a standard engine.

I'm still waiting on my Puma rebuild to be finished. Whilst on the topic of MPG I'm currently using a 1.6 Mk1 Focus LX as my daily driver. I've been running it on regular unleaded. As usual I seem to be able to easily exceed the mpg of the manufacturer. Parkers quotes 35-41mpg for the 1.6 LX. I'm currently sitting at 49mpg.

I'll be sure to try a super unleaded full tank trip too and see if it improves the MPG. So is V Power one of the best unleaded fuels out there?

Ed

"My 1st choice for the Puma with a Standard 1.7 is Shell regular unleaded. I have found that both the throttle response and mpg are better than other fuels. However on a modified engine or including a FRP , then there will be an advantage in using V power , but none on a standard engine."
So is V Power one of the best unleaded fuels out there?
No, it is the Best! but is not necessary in a standard 1.6 Focus

Back