Vpower / MPG discussion

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There have been many, many discussions over years about the benefits or not of redex. As you've a 1.6, not a 1.7 with nikisil linings, it probably won't do any harm. Using decent petrols will do much the same.

Let us know how you get on :eek:k:

Dal said:
There have been many, many discussions over years about the benefits or not of redex. As you've a 1.6, not a 1.7 with nikisil linings, it probably won't do any harm. Using decent petrols will do much the same.

Let us know how you get on :eek:k:

Some think it can cause damage? Do tell.... :?

Some think it can damage the nikisil linings in the cylinder bores of 1.7s.

You have a 1.6 without nikisil linings so no need to worry.

I used to put redex (when there was only 2 kinds available - petrol and diesel) in my old XR3i, I'd say it made it run a little smoother, but there were no other noticeable benefits from using it.

Dal said:
Some think it can damage the nikisil linings in the cylinder bores of 1.7s.

You have a 1.6 without nikisil linings so no need to worry.

phew! I'll let you know what I get then. I'm deff hoping to reach the 300 mark, though like I said, it's hard not pushing it through the bends a bit.

Cherie said:
I used to put redex (when there was only 2 kinds available - petrol and diesel) in my old XR3i, I'd say it made it run a little smoother, but there were no other noticeable benefits from using it.

With the additives in decent petrol these days, you probably don't need it if you run on non supermarket petrol.
(Although Tesco 99RON stuff has loads of cleaning additives)

Still shite MPG from Tesco petrol though, compared to Shell or Esso, even on super.

Hmm I tend to only fill up from a handful of places, all of which are shell, bp etc in other words, not supermarket ones. Just for practical reasons really.

I don't find it too bad, I can still get over 300 from standard tesco unleaded :)

Just depends where I happen to fill up!

chris3boro said:
I would have thought it was an estimated miles left gauge, but can only be so accurate as the distance you could cover will vary greatly depending how you drive.

The Jagdeo has one. The onboard computer monitors your consumption at all times and adjusts the range on some sort of moving average system.

I'm not sure how accurate it is, but I did once drive onto the forecourt of the hypermarket outside Boulogne-sur-Mer with 4 miles remaining. Well it is so much cheaper over there I was determined not to fill up near Dover!

This wasn't as risky as it sounds, the Ford diesel two-litre engine management system generates a simulated misfire if it judges you are really pushing it (Diesels are a bugger to restart if ever you run one dry, you have to bleed all the injectors)

Still have 54mpg showing on my 'average' readout.

All this electronic frippery, i dont know. I remember when you could run a diesel with no battery at all once it was started. And a pint of lager was 1p! And dophins were monkeys.

Filled up today and 0'd the trip, will add some redex too and see what I can manage driving very reasonably!
The puma holds 8.8 gallons doesn't it? So...I'm aiming for say 35mpg, as most of the tank will be used on 2 10mile trips a day (ie, not long runs, affecting economy)

So my aim is 315-330 mies? Sound reasonable?

If your getting 315 - 330 you'll be getting 40mpgish, not 35.

300 is a good benchmark for normal varied driving I'd say.

40mpg? Pumas hold 8.8 gallons dont they? So 315miles divided by 8.8 is 35.7 am I being stupid and missing something? :S

Have a look here:

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?t=1777" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I managed 47mpg ;)

Tank holds 40 litres according to the handbook so 8.8 gallons indeed. Best not to run until you stop dry, so about 7 - 8 gallons normally used a tank.

Dal said:
Tank holds 40 litres according to the handbook so 8.8 gallons indeed.

Despite which I consistently managed to put 42-44 litres into a 1.7 filling it uo the filler neck.

Never managed it in the FRP so I guess there are variations from car to car, but why that should be I can never figure.

chris3boro said:
At what point does the light come on then? How may litres left? Do we know?
40 miles is safe as long as you are not thrashing it

I must be a chicken when it comes to the fuel light. I've never managed to get more than 38 litres in mine.

Latest posts

Back